AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soundproofing company lists 2 options. 1st option puts clips & channel around the soffit, so all surface area inside the theater has clips & channel behind it. 2nd option is clips & channel on all 4 walls and ceiling, then soffit attached to the wall (to the channels behind the drywall). Which is better?

Soffits are noted for use with lighting or HVAC. Is it possible to use have both HVAC and can lights in the same soffit, or separated in some way?

I'm also considering only using GG & DD around the problem areas... on the interior of the wall surrounding noise sources (external to the theater), but not on the interior walls of the theater itself. For interior I was going to use clips + drywall. What do I give up if I don't use GG on the interior theater walls (and ceiling)?

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you build the soffits after clips, DD and GG, then you do not have to build backer boxes for your can lights. Also you can use the soffit for HVAC runs. If you don't then you need to build a joist muffler for the HVAC supply and/or return. Additionally you can use the soffit for all of your low voltage and other electrical wire runs. That eliminates the need for any outlets, or at least very few. That means there are fewer holes in the "bubble".

As far as treating problem areas only. IMO Waste of time and money. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts