AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Formerly a "bedroom" with no closet, my dedicated HT is under construction. Without acoustically testing anything, I'm going to wing it and have the carpenter build me a wooden frame to make a soffit running around the 12w x 16l x 10h HT. The purpose is broad band absorption of the bass, needed, it seems, especially in smaller rooms.

I'm thinking the soffit may be about 16" horizontal and 12" vertical. I'll have the drywallers put a second 5/8" drywall on the walls and ceiling, with Green Glue in between drywall layers, and one drywall layer covering the soffits. These soffits have no wiring, air conditioning, etc, inside them. The questions I can think of are:

1. I assume the soffit gets filled with some kind of fiberglass, but I don't know what kind. Usually, the fiberglass has one side covered with paper, which I don't think would interfere with the bass absorption. Is it packed in real tight or just loosely packed.

2. Suggestions for consideration on fine tuning the above plan.

3. I picked 12" x 16" because it seemed a reasonable size from what I have read and it's not to overpowering asthetically in the HT.

Take Aim

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You can buy insulation batting with no paper....Routinely used in ceilings and floor joists. That's what I did...Bought R-37 and stuffed it in there fairly tight. I also had HVAC ducts and sewer pipes, so I stuffed to also insulate those sources of sound. If you put any can lights in those soffits, make sure they are rated for contact with insulation.

Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.