AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the theater, my soffits are 36" wide. I'm trying to maximize the headroom, so I'm going to use the "frameless" technique that seems popular (2x2 on ceiling, wall and "ankle" with OSB instead of 2x's between them).

So the question is:

Can 5/8th thick OSB span a full 36" without any supports in the middle? Will the weight of 36" be too much for clips to hold up even if i put one clip on each joist (16" OC)

My second question is on the soffits in the rest of the basement. I think I may have made a mistake

I did the same type of framing as Woolly:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a.../HTRoom153.jpg

And in the thread where I just found that picture, someone was asking what he is doing for a "nailer". Do i have to reframe that soffit with said "nailer" for the drywall to be hung? This is outside the theater, so i won't be putting OSB on it like he ended up doing.

Thanks!

Snurf

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Not sure about the first question - but I would definitely add framing at the bottom edge to nail the drywall to, otherwise how will the corners hold together? Seems like without it would be likely to resonate / vibrate too.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snurf /forum/post/19540671

So the question is:

Can 5/8th thick OSB span a full 36" without any supports in the middle? Will the weight of 36" be too much for clips to hold up even if i put one clip on each joist (16" OC)

Building code dictates no more than 24" span between conections. THe weight associated with the 36" depends on the construction. You're mentioning OSB. 7/16"? 3/4"? What about the drywall on this? 1/2"? 5/8?

In general 36" is a lot. You could attach clips on every joist as you said. If the soffit is quite massive, you might consider using a 20 gauge channel rather than 25 for the soffit. THe 20 gauge would need to have long hemmed edges also, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snurf /forum/post/19540671

Do i have to reframe that soffit with said "nailer" for the drywall to be hung? This is outside the theater, so i won't be putting OSB on it like he ended up doing.

I'm not following that. Sorry

·
Registered
734 Posts
My soffit is 32" wide, I used 1/2" OSB for the first layer, then Green Glue and 5/8" drywall on the second layer, I also fastened a row of screws in the middle at 16" to first layer OSB to add more support for the second layer drywall, it looks fine. Your span is 4" wider than mine, so I guess you can use thicker OSB or playwood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.