AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a relatively small (13’x13’, 9’ ceiling) media room. I would like to add soffits for appearance that include small recessed LED lights and/or lightstrip as accent. I also hope to include a small column feature.

I’m questioning if my square, smallish room would accommodate these features, and if so, what dimensions would you recommend? Is a soffit of 1’ wide by 6” tall big enough to accommodate the light without making the room look even smaller? What about columns? I'm thinking two along each side wall, either painted or maybe a stacked stone look.

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Are you wanting a "tray lighting" look? If so, I think 6" might be a little on the short side. I'd think the further from the ceiling, the more dispersed the led lightstrip's light would be, to an extent of course. Obviosly 3' away woud hardly shine on the ceiling. I'm guessing a 1' tall soffit is the common dimension unless hiding ductwork or plumbing that drops lower than that.

-Sean

·
Registered
296 Posts
My soffit is 18" wide and 12" tall. I have "9 foot ceilings" but they're only really about 8' 7". Even with a 12.5" riser it doesn't feel cramped.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I have very much what dhendriksen has, but different feelings about it. The soffits are within 1/2" of his dimensions; the ceiling is 105"; the kicker is the 14" riser. I'm close to 6' tall, and I know I won't be close to hitting my head or anything, but it starts to impinge visually. Also, where other obstructions, like wall-mounted speakers or sconce lighting or columns come together with the soffit it makes me a little nervous, but I'm still in construction. I don't suspect it will be an actual problem, but it makes me wish the room were more than 12' wide.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wanting tray lighting look on the ceiling. However, I will also have a 12 inch riser. I'm six feet tall, so standing would give me a foot clearance by the wall. I can see that looking/feeling tight. Anyone use rope lighting with six inch soffits?

Also, is six inches enough for recessed led?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm 6' tall too, but my room is much wider.

Six inches should be enough for recessed LED.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts