Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Witch alternative gives the best picture on a SONY G70 and a 90-inch screen,

1 Scaling a 1080i picture to 1080p (e.g. D-VHS with a DUNE scaler).

2 Using the internal down converter in the JVC D-VHS to output 720p

My main concern is that the 1080p picture may be too soft. Is there a way to calculate the best resolution for the G70 on a given screen size.

·
Registered
443 Posts
What's wrong with 1080i? OTA HDTV looks fantastic on a G70. The Olympics were razor sharp and even high speed events like ski jumping looked great. Doesn't the D-VHS output 1080i natively?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have seen the G-70 with the JVC 30K DVHS ay 1080i and the picture is far from soft. In fact it was the best picture in HD I have seen to date. Even better than the Olympics which were just fantastic.

It was at MikeS home and he is a forum member.

I also think that 1080P may be a bit to much for the G-70's CRT's.

Terry

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hi WhuppaWhoppa,

First the JVC D-VHS won't convert 1080i to 720p. As for your question of 1080i vs 720p, is there any special reason perventing you to try both settings on your G70 and decide yourself then?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any Hi-Def material here in Sweden until I order a D-VHS so a direct comparison is difficult. The thing is that I don’t now witch scaler I should buy. I am choosing between the new Focus and a DUNE. One of the differences is that the DUNE is capable of 1080i to 1080p. The question is would deinterlacing a 1080i picture improve the picture on a SONY G70 or is it a useless feature. Several members on this forum says that a 1080p pictures could be to soft, but on the other hand I strongly dislikes an interlaced picture hence the 720p down converter question (I thought that the JVC was able to downscale).

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hi WhuppaWhoppa,

In that case, forget the scaler. Get a decent progressive DVD to start with.

We all HATE 480i but HDTV is completely different. Believe me, you can only LOVE a decent 1080i HD picture! :)

Personally, 1080p on the G70 is over-kill not to mention the deinterlace quality in the i/p convertion. Of course, if you have enough money to spare, buy them all and try the combination you like...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
1080P is a bit to much for the G-70. I have set it up at 48 hz and had a nice picture but at 72 hz the picture was soft. 960P is the optimum setting for the G-70 IMO.

Terry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think that 960p is optimum for the G70 regardless of picture size? How big screen do you have?

Do you have any 1080i source, if yes do you display the native rate or do you deinterlace it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.