AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 99% sure that this is a rhetorical question, but is there currently such a thing as a Software Receiver? If not, WHY!?!

Here's the thing. It's my turn to re design my home theater and I wish that I would never have to buy another component receiver for the rest of my entire life! Is it not our goal these days to designate our computers as the center of our home theater systems? If so, then why does everything continue to be controlled by the traditional receiver not much different than my father had?

What I envision is software that serves as a receiver that does everything a traditional receiver does minus being able to power speakers, but in the process is able to fully centralize my computer

Give me an external interface for all my separate components that I can connect to a card installed on my computer, with an output on the same card to an Amp on the other end for power.

Is this crazy talk?

Cheers,

RenderBot

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
No...

But do a search on Pre-Pro or PrePro....

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can more or less do it but in my opinion you are much better off with a PrePro as Jim mentioned. I could easily configure my media PC as a PrePro but there are some significant limitations I would face e.g. no HDMI switching, no Audyssey DRC (Vista DRC is nowhere near as sophisticated) and so on. Then there is the never-ending hassle of upkeep; while I more or less enjoy it for the HTPC playback functions I would never want to have to deal with it for everything. At least I can watch or listen to cable TV/Music if my HTPC is throwing fits...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
You can more or less do it but in my opinion you are much better off with a PrePro as Jim mentioned.

I was referring to some threads here on AVS that dealt with using an HTPC as a PrePro...

Been there, done that.... now I have an Onkyo 705...

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderBot /forum/post/15482130

Is it not our goal these days to designate our computers as the center of our home theater systems?

It was when I first started in this hobby, but it is most certainly not my goal now. I now use my trusty Denon and would never think of trying to bring that functionality into my htpc. I go with the unix philosophy....it's better to have multiple components that each do one thing very well then try to have one single monolithic component that does everything not as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts