AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrading to PowerDVDXP 4.0 and having good success I am wondering what features this player has that others don't and what am I missing by using this player. As I see it the top choices currently are
  1. PowerDVDXP 4.0
  2. TheaterTek by Immersive
  3. WinDVD4.0
  4. ATI 7.6[/list=1] Did I miss any? For reference I am using an AP 24/96 card (latest driver) w/ a 8500 (2071 driver) on a P4 1.6 running XP home.

Features I would be particularly interested in are Multichannel support, DTS-ES, THX EX, more stable overlay control, and the ability to maximize the video output from my underperforming Radeon 8500. Thanks in advance Adam.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
There aren't massive differences between them, in terms of PQ or SQ. Its more of a matter of what you can get to work best on your particular setup, IMHO. All of them, according to your hardware and software combo, can be either great or a complete PITA. If you don't have a new partition to in order to test a new setup (and aren't willing to redo it right back to what it is right now), I'd probably stick with what I've got for a while if it works.

I've got TT, PowerDVD 4.x and WinDVD 3.x, and right now I'm using the TT, because it has support for gamma on my Radeon (which is a very good thing), and it seems to be the lightest weight one that has the least problems with stuttering. I'm running XP Pro, 24/96, and the Radeon 32MB DDR (a 7200).

But I think that if you want to do directly multi-channel out, PowerDVD and WinDVD would be your better choices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.