AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this. I've been editing on my Pioneer 633. I think I'd rather edit and make menus on the computer and not tie up my tv. I'd love to hear any suggestions for good software to use. I'd like to put shows on a DVD-RW and then put them on my computer to edit.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
TMPGenc DVD Author at the Pegasys website or boxed in Comp USA or Microcenter under the Tsunami brand name. $49 for boxed version. Great program can handle both VR and Video mode discs as a source.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree wotj Vferrari. Very simple to use and you can create custom menus, chapter points etc. Tsunami version has the AC3 audio plug in, which normally costs $20 more on top the $79 Tempeg price

·
Registered
948 Posts
The TDA has a $25.00 rebate bringing its' price down to $25.00. The box (I just received it) says under 'main functions' that it encodes AC3. It doesn't mention it under 'output' though.

BTW both products bnbhoha refers to are made by Tsunami. The $49.00 version is just the Digital Author. But my trial software appeared to do it all. Input, Edit, Author and Burn.

The $79.00 (less $20.00 rebate) version is called Tsunami DVD EASY PACK. It includes VIDEO ENCODER EXPRESS, MEDIA EDITOR AND DVD AUTHOR. All 3 are 'easy edition'. Some think the 'Easy Edition is the lite version with more options to input but overall less features. ENCODER (easy edition) outputs AC3. Author (easy) as well as TDA outputs MPEG-1 and linear PCM. Confusing to say the least.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Another vote for TDA. Easy to use and inexpensive as Jay said with the rebate deal. I bought the Tsunami stand-alone because it offered menu customization which the Easy Pack didn't. I am having some trouble developing custom menus but I haven't spent a whole lot of time. This is no good guide for that part of the program. It looks like it will be trial and error. But most people will find the template set fine for most menu needs.

You don't need a separate editor, but if you want to get fancier than what TDA can do, like adding wipes and dissolves, you could use Womble or VideoReDo. All the products work on the mpeg files without recoding.

Although I haven't tried VideoReDo, I am attracted to this feature mentioned on their web page:

"AdDetectiveâ„¢ Commerical Detection

Let VideoReDo take the pain out of finding the best places to cut advertisements from your favorite TV shows. VideoReDo's AdDetective will scan your files for the likely places where advertisements start and end. You can preview and change the recommendations before editing, or let VideoReDo Plus do the job automatically. The choice is yours."

If that works, I'll do all my editing on the computer.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I actually prefer Ulead's MovieFactory 4. I downloaded and worked with the trial versions of both MF4 and Tsunami/TMPGENC. There were two aspects of Tsunami I simply could not stand:

1. No easy way to simply add background music to a still menu. You have to somehow author a video of your still that incorporates the audio. Pain in the butt. With MF4, you simply select the .wav or .mp3 that you want to add to each menu, and that's it.

2. If you are importing several clips from a DVD recorder, as opposed to one long clip, Tsunami forces you to import/analyze them... one. at. a. time. Talk about labor-intensive (not to mention amazingly stupid!) There's no way to select multiple video clips for import. When you're making music video compilations that may have 10-20 individual clips, this is a dealbreaker.

The two software packages are similar in price (I opted for the MF4 Standard edition vs. the "Disc Creator" edition; not enough additional features to justify the extra $50 IMO), and purchased it from Amazon for $44 shipped.

-Dan

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dan, I had Movie Factory 3 which always seemed to lock-up when I tried to put a -RAM disc in the machine. Maybe that is now fixed. Are you using RW or RAM to bring the material in from the set top recorder?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
If you are importing several clips from a DVD recorder, as opposed to one long clip, Tsunami forces you to import/analyze them... one. at. a. time. Talk about labor-intensive (not to mention amazingly stupid!) There's no way to select multiple video clips for import. When you're making music video compilations that may have 10-20 individual clips, this is a dealbreaker.
Huh?! I just drag and drop the DVD_RTAV folder to my HDD or point TDA to the DVD_RTAV folder on the RAM disc directly and then you can then individually select the individual programs that reside in the vro file you choose to have in your compilation. They instantly appear in the track list. I really don't understand your workflow here (i.e., are you working with VR mode?). I had similar problems with MF3 that are described by sunnycrest. Also, I found MF annoying in that it forced you to create a separate chapter/thumbnail for each imported clip rather than allowing you to create separate menu pages for each clip with a set of chapters associated with each menu. I also found the navigation through the clip to create chapter stops sluggish and clunky with no provision for auto chapter creation at fixed time intervals or auto chapters based on a set number of chapters per clip. There also was no provision eliminate a first play menu altogether. I'll have to check out MF4 to see if they've addressed all the serious shortcomings of MF3.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have used DVD Shrink to make backup copies of entire DVDs, but I have not found a way to take a show from one DVD and a show from a different DVD and make a new DVD with these 2 shows.

Is there an easy way to do it on a computer?

John

·
Registered
948 Posts
If not mentioned above both TDA and EASY PACK allow you to add clips. I've been practicing first with a trial version of TDA and now with EASY PACK. Working with an entire 1 hour episode of 'Lost' as one clip. I could have added other clips probably up to the max of a DL disc. I'm not sure of MF 3 or 4 or, videoredo or other software can do that but I assume some can. Check their web sites, etc. Many offer a 30 day fully functional trial version.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Quote:
I have used DVD Shrink to make backup copies of entire DVDs, but I have not found a way to take a show from one DVD and a show from a different DVD and make a new DVD with these 2 shows.

Is there an easy way to do it on a computer?
John, you can do this w/the latest DVDShrink [v.3.2.0.15]! This guide shows how to do compilations w/already ripped files on your hard-drive, but you can also drag-and-drop titles from a DVD into the new DVD structure area in re-author mode, then pop in another DVD to add its titles.

·
Registered
795 Posts
However, with DVD Shrink you don't get to create a menu in their "reauthoring" section. It will let you pull programs or program segments from any number of discs but no menu option. That's what the TDA or MF (or any of the other) authoring packages can do for you.

I have recorded a bunch of episodes of the Hometime show on various DVD-R and DVD-RAM discs from several broadcast sources. I would like to organize them into season order. I'll pull those episodes from the various discs using TDA and create a menu listing the subject of the project and the epsidode number. The TDA menu editor gives me a lot more room to enter text than the set top recorders can do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.