AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I will have to simulate some circuits myself to answer the questions I have about them. In particular, I want to simulate active crossovers, phase adjustments, parametric filters, etc. I want to see mainly frequency response and phase response.

What would an appropriate software(s) be to do this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good question!

No doubt a good version of PSpice will do the job well. Might be a bit daunting at first if you're not familiar with Spice or electronics in general, but it's definately THE standard.

There are several versions out there. I use ModelSim's (Cadence) free eval version for simple circuits. It's been one of the more popular versions for a while.

http://www.cadencepcb.com/products/p...ts/default.asp

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a lot of people mention LSPcad for crossover modeling, but I assumed that was for speaker-level passive crossover networks. It also does general loudspeaker modeling from what I understand. Does anyone know if it does line level circuit modeling? Is it robust enough to solve from basic components, or do you have to use "higher order" components, such as "high pass filter with xx XO point and xx slope...?"

I have a friend that uses PSpice... I'll give him a call and see if they have an eval version, or perhaps just get him to model the circuits I am interested in.

I'll check out that eval version of Cadence and see if that will work.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry, but there is nothing else to add. Spice is the beginning and the end of free circuit simulators. Pspice is the version of Spice that is freely available. It used to be available through MicroSim, then they were bought by OrCad, who was bought by Cadence. If you need any help with Spice, there is a ton of information on the web. The best place may be to search the pages at UC Berkeley - that is where it was invented.

The only other alternative that I know of is to write your own circuit simulator with C++ or Matlab or something. You don't want to do this.

Tim

·
Registered
251 Posts
oops, I forgot to add that I have a *lot* of experience with Spice, so if you need any help with it just let me know.

Tim

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool beans, spice it is. My friend was a CPE and used it quite a bit, so hopefully he'll be able to get me started. I had basic EE systems, digital electronics, and small analog devices courses, so hopefully I won't be too lost (if I haven't killed those particular brain cells since then).

nutt, I'll PM you if I run into any problems I can't find answers to elsewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"if I haven't killed those particular brain cells since then"

I understand that listening to really loud music can kill brain cells, so some of them may be gone...

Tim

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the liquid poison I'm most concerned about. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.