AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some trouble with my Repay 5040 refurb that I got a couple months back.

Last month my refurb 5040 locked up on me, I unplugged it and it rebooted and worked for a couple of days until it locked up on me again. I assumed that the drive was going and figured now would be a good time to upgrade the drive. I pulled it off the entertainment stand and put it aside until I had time to do the drive upgrade. Last week I pulled a 100 gig drive from my old Showstopper, restored it with the 750 image, patched it and installed it into the 5040. All went well, it upgraded to the new 110 software and I even had it on my network and was using it successfully with my other two Replays. A couple days later, I come home from work and turn on the TV and see a frozen image on the screen, so I pull the plug, wait, plug it in and it works. Next day, same thing, frozen image, but this time I hit the Channel Guide button, select a show and it changes channels and starts working fine. This went on for three days. Just to make sure, yesterday I dug out an old 13 gig drive out of storage and patch and install it just fine. The Replay works fine all day Sunday, Monday before work it is working fine, then when I get home I find the image frozen again and this time the only way to clear it is to unplug it.

So, now I don't know if this is something that Alcatraz will fix? Is it a power supply problem? I don't know what it can be. I never use the photo software so that is turned off. I've tried switching from Ethernet to modem, I even tried different video inputs and electrical outlets.

I'm stuck! Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It's unlikely it was ever the drive to begin with. I think you have only one real option besides trying to get a refund, and that's waiting for Alcatraz!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
A) Is it locking up on the overnight net connects?

B) Do you leave the replay On constantly? Or do you turn it off via the power button when not in use?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
A) Is it locking up on the overnight net connects?

B) Do you leave the replay On constantly? Or do you turn it off via the power button when not in use?

It's happening while the unit is on, it even happened while I was watching it one night.

I'm not sure if it is trying to connect when it locks up, but I have been able to connect manually without any problems.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Semler
It's happening while the unit is on, it even happened while I was watching it one night.

I'm not sure if it is trying to connect when it locks up, but I have been able to connect manually without any problems.
When it locked while you were watching, were you watching live TV? Had you been watching the same channel for an extended period of time?

The reason I ask is that it seems that if the replay is left buffering the same channel for extended periods of times some people have seen problems.

I have never had this problem w/ any software version, but I never use the replay to watch anything live. I also turn off my replays when not in use.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it does seem to be happening when watching live TV. I have a hard time believing that it is the buffer, I had a 100 gig drive in the machine and only a couple things recorded on it. Wouldn't that give me a large buffer that would take a long time to fill?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yep that would (with nothing recorded that would be approx. 33hours of buffer time). I am just trying to offer ideas though.

Do you turn off the replay when not in use? Cause if it buffers overnight it could easily reach the limit.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
There is a documented bug that causes the buffer to lock up after 13 or so hours as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, maybe it could be the buffer then. I try to turn the unit off as much as possible, but sometimes I didn't. Early on when it first started happening, it was in the same room as another 5040 and I was using the one on one off with a single remote method of controlling them. For the last week it has been a single unit in the bedroom and the only time I leave it on was watching it (obviously ;) ) and I would leave it on sometimes just to see if it would lock up and it did. So maybe it is the buffer problem. Is the new software going to address this bug?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
My guess is that you'll have to wait 'til the end of the month to find out, but that's just a few days away. One would think that a bug of this severity would get their attention for quick resolution.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that when the new software is rumored to be released? That's sooner than I expected.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
All right, so call me an optimist. I'm sure it will be there by Thanksgiving, or maybe Christmas. Don't ask which year :D

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
If he hadn't said 'a few days away', you wouldn't even know (or conjecture...) the end of what month! :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
There is a documented bug that causes the buffer to lock up after 13 or so hours as well.
Is this a wide spread problem? I have a 5xxx series with 110 software, and have never had a lockup. I don't usually buffer live TV that much, but I have left the unit on (buffering) all night by accident (once over 20 hours), and it still ran fine.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
If it hasn't bit you why worry about rabies shots?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
If it hasn't bit you why worry about rabies shots?
I'm a hypochondriac.:D

Seriously, I just wanted to know where this problem is "documented"?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Posted right here on this forum. If the search function ever works again.....

I think it was a ReplayFolk post and that the trigger point was at 13:43.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.