AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed windows xp on my new htpc machine and have updated the bios from the intel website.

are they any other softwares or updates are needed before using the computer? the gpu is inbuilt in i3. no gpu card.

so what are the other updates I need? when I tried to connect to internet last nite, it says no connection available even though I have the ethernet cable from my router connected it to the ethernet port on the motherboard.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To connect to the internet you have to install the drivers for your ethernet port from the driver disc supplied with the motherboard. You really should install all of the drivers from that disc. Get Windows 7 if you want to take full advantage of your new system, don't think you'll get HD Audio with XP.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera
Get Windows 7 if you want to take full advantage of your new system, don't think you'll get HD Audio with XP.
Agreed, get Windows 7.

Windows XP on a HTPC, especially on that hardware is just a waste.

Drivers to be installed:

First and foremost install the chipset driver. Then install any AV that you trust.

Since its Intel based, go to Intel's website and run the automated utility.

It will search your system and display the latest available drivers.

Open 'Device Manager' in 'Control Panel' and check that all devices are installed.

Any devices with a yellow question mark means its not installed yet.

Then finally run Windows Update (I keep the setting at Manual, not Automatic) for available drivers and updates.

Windows Update has gotten pretty darn good at finding drivers, even for obscure devices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts