AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my HDPC is also the family computer and my wife is about to kick it off the TV (she wants it back on a normal monitor). I need help.

Basically, I've got a DVI->HDMI setup, but when I switch HDMI inputs on the TV and back, the TV doesn't recognize the DVI signal. As a workaround, I set the email button on my wireless keyboard to run a program that changes the resolution and back. This works well most of the time. The problem is that sometimes a running program steals the input and this little trick doesn't work, when that happens my wife calls me at work wanting me to fix it. Now she's tired of it.

So, I either need a better software solution that it easy to use and never fails to force a handshake, or a better video card that's built to handshake with TVs or always stays in HD resolution (maybe something with an HDMI out?). Can anyone help me with a recommendation to save my HDPC?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/17028145

Women!

Yeah, what's the deal with them?!

My wife loves the PC on the TV when it works, she loves the full screen iTunes visualizers and uses her iPhone remote to control the sound as it passes through the receiver and all over the house. So if I have seperate boxes, the other one won't be used unless this one breaks, and the HDPC becomes the family PC again. I'm Googling a bit, but it's hard to find info that isn't just specs. I think the answer is a better video card, and this is the forum that would know so I was hoping for someone to chime in with a quick suggestion to end my Googling misery.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
What about changing the AMD app from start to manual in the Services and Applications in the Manage? If you have not done that I suggest you give that a try. I do that every time when I install the update ATI driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's an ATI card alright, with up to date drivers. So perhaps NVidia is the way to go. hdmiOn is similar to what I've got setup now, but the problem is programs like remote desktop steal the keyboard input so the hotkeys no longer work.... perhaps I can find a workaround for that.

DVI doctor may be the simplest solution too, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if this is the right forum, but here's hoping.

Occasionally the TV and audio signal goes our for a second or two when watching from DVR AND DVD.

After checking with others, they all say the problem is somewhere else.

Our set up is HDMI cables from Sony Blu Ray, HDMI cables from set top box, both into Denon AVR 3808, and out of the Denon with HDMI to the Sony Bravia.

After changing out the cables from the DVR STB to optical, the problem still exists.

It all seems to point to the Denon AVR (new firmware updated). But if I patch around it, the convenience of the AVR and the sound would be gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.