AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about a lot of software on this forum. I am currently using WinDVD 4 for my DVD playback. I have Powerstrip and layed with it but I find that my 34" monitor works fine at 800x600/72Hz. Is there any additional software I should be considering? For example, which software is the best for music playback and recording?

Is there a best for burning music CDs?

My goal is to transfer my old vinyl LPs to Hard Disk and build a library of music (.wav files as I dislike the sound of Mp3).

Any opinions on WinDVD 4?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
For music playback and recording I recommend Media Jukebox with the lossless ape format. The ape codec compresses music files by roughly 50% over raw wav files. The latest version of media jukebox (version 9... actually called media center) also supports an ASIO output plugin that allows you to bypass the windows mixer for digital output of music streams (if you have a soundcard with ASIO drivers). This plugin improved sound quality quite a bit for me.

The latest windows media player also has a lossless codec that also gives you about 50% compression. Price is right... free.

I like the UI of media jukebox (although it can be a bit cluttered at times for use on a TV) and the ASIO option is a big selling point for me.

Al

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Forgot to mention.... I don't know what kind of monitor you have but it sounds like you are using the s-video out of your video card. Powerstrip will not do you any good with an s-video output.

Powerstrip comes into play if you have a HD monitor or a projector that can accept something other than a 480i video stream. I was using s-video and switched to the audio authority VGA to component video transcoder that I connect to my HD TV with a 720x480 resolution with 540p timings... quality improved dramatically.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.