Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm auditioning as many PJs as possible before buying one and at the moment need advice on DLPs.

A Sim2 HT200 is on show at a local dealer. Can anyone recommend any DVDs on Region 2 PAL ONLY that will exhibit the rainbow effect on this PJ? I need to test my eyeballs!

A recent viewing of a Sanyo PLV-30 points me towards the PLV-60 or Sony 10/11HT LCDs. Any views on these others regarding 7ft wide 16:9 images at short throws (10ft) are VERY WELCOME!

TTFN.

Miro.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I dont know if they have this on Region 2, but buy the Farscape #1 and go to the menu section. YOu will see lights streaking across a black space background. Look at the lights streaking across, if you cant see rainbows from the little lights, you are immune from rainbow artifacts. I was able to show non believers rainbows with this movie

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was relunctant to start a thread like this a couple of days ago. I wasn't sure I wanted to know... but now I think I should know. If I buy an expensive projector and the rainbow effect gives my wife migraines, I'm a dead man! :D

I'm interested in any scenes on Region 1 NTSC DVDs that exhibit this effect.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have seen rainbows while watching The Thing on my LT-150, but so far that is the only movie that I've seen (out of dozens watched) where I noticed the problem, everything else has looked great.

Like the concept of gray-blacks on digital FPTVs, most people can see the effect in 10% or less of the movies watched. And some small percentage of people find that unacceptable, and should avoid those display technologies that don't measure up in their eyes.

But it's the 90% of the movies left that look fantastic that make these displays well worth the purchase worth it to the rest of us.

By all means, get a list of the worst offending movies and play them to see what you think, but also play some normal movies equally, so that you understand that the problems are the exception rather than the rule.

-Dean.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for responding.

Humey, we do have Farscape 1 here, and its available for rental too from Blockbuster. Don't you have Blockbuster as well? Anyway, I will organise a viewing and a rental soon.

Sticking with the Sim2 DLP theme, anyone seen the HT200SWA, that's the Super Wide Angle version. It has a 0.8 fixed throw so an 84in wide screen is had from 67in away. Perhaps an under-the-stairs cinema appearing somewhere? A link to a German site is here...

http://www.kinozuhause.de/prd_ht200swa.html

Miro.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Bouncing white square on black background on fullscreen mode should elicit rainbows. It can be found on Direct X 6, 7, and 8 testing called Dxdiag.exe in your program files/DirectX/setup subdirectories. Just bring your laptop and a VGA cable to show room and voila--instant rainbow testing. Someone here also made a rainbow torture program test so search entire forum for link to download.

Scrolling white credits on black background can be rainbow eliciter too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.