AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to rip DVD's to MKV's to view on MMC through a 360.

So far I've tried MakeMKV which worked very fast, but I can't view the files.

I installed DivX7 which is supposed to support MKV in WMC and the AC3 Filter that I believe is needed for audio, but no help.

Now I have installed handbrake.

The first conversion got to .02% complete them seemgly froze, though it said it was still working, it was projecting 29 hours of encoding time.

The 2nd coversion i attempted seemed to cause it to lock up. I will reboot and try it again in a minute and update this if I have any more luck.

I'm running Win7 64 bit wiht a Core2Duo 2.66 CPU and 4GB RAM, should be sufficient to handle it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist1977 /forum/post/18136140

i used makemkv on approximately 100 dvd's i had issues with only about 2%, what problems are you having ?

After installing DIVX 7 which is supposed to support MKV's I can't view the files. I get an error immediately after opening them and it stops. no video, no audio. the thumbnail wont display the preview image either. It is tieing the mkv filetype to WMP so it should be working.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist1977 /forum/post/18137198

I assume the above issue, is when playing back on PC, try installing the shark codec packs, win7 codecs and x64 components from http://shark007.net/ FYI i dont think Xbox 360 can playback mkv natively.

If choosing to install this software be aware that it is a complete and very comprehensive release. You need to un-install all codec installations before installing it. Remove the Divx software and AC3Filter. Also remove FFDshow and anything else you installed that has to do with codecs.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
if you want to play the mkvs on the 360 you have to use dix7, unless you want to do some crappy transcoding.

did you associate the dix7 with mkvs in the config?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18138428

if you want to play the mkvs on the 360 you have to use dix7, unless you want to do some crappy transcoding.

did you associate the dix7 with mkvs in the config?

MKV is associated with WMP. Dix7 is a codec that rusn inside WMP correct? otherwise it wouldnt work on the 360. Maybe i'm not following.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.