AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the refurbbed 5040s connected by phone.

I was happy--maybe even a bit smug--never to have had any serious connection problems when updating the channel guide. That was with 5.0 build 75.

Since getting build 110, the box has not successfully completed even a single update! Worse, since it hangs when "checking for new ReplayTV software," if no one is around to reboot it, nothing gets recorded, since "a network operation is in progress." Right. I have no choice but to disconnect the phone line and update manually.

110 may have solved others' problems--which fact I cannot begrudge--but it has almost completely destroyed the utility of my hardware. I might as well retrieve the 3060 from the closet and throw the 5040 in there.

Lyndon, is there anyway to roll back to a firmware that works?

Lee

edit: I could have included this in the earlier thread at http://http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300367[/URL ], but wanted to highlight post-110 problems.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
110 works just fine modem wise. There are several threads on your problem and Lyndon posted a method for clearing temporary files which cause this.

I believe first of all, after you get 110 you should UNPLUG the unit. The power button reset does not fully clear modem registers which could be wacked. If that does not work, I believe you unplug the unit when it freezes on "transferring add'l info". This deletes the previous temp file on restart.

I had this hiccup on the initial 110 upgrade and not a problem since.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I had already tried pulling the plug (normal escalation from warm boot) without effect.

I tried it again today, still without effect, restarted, caught it just after it hung again, and yanked the plug again. Finally, Net Connected without a problem. So far (two hours), so good. Tomorrow will tell.

Evidently, the timing is important: you have to catch just after it has hung, not the next day. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks Adone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.