Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gerald,

Quote:
Yes!!!! The "channel change" bug has been fixed!!! Hooray!!! Thanks, DishNetwork!!
What's the "channel change" bug?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
But has the OTA "Acquiring Sat" bug finally been erradicated?

Jerry G,

Any insight on the changes. We love the updates whenever they come.

Tim

BTW post may get more air play if it was titled Dish 6000 software update.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone know if they fixed the channel mapping problem? This is the one that forces you to switch the analog type to CABLE to tune virtual channel numbers of over 65.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I am able to tune into HDNET now!

...just kidding:)

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht
But has the OTA "Acquiring Sat" bug finally been erradicated?

Jerry G,

Any insight on the changes. We love the updates whenever they come.

Tim

BTW post may get more air play if it was titled Dish 6000 software update.
Looks like Dish did a great job with this latest update. It appears that they have separate memories for SD and HD channels with regard to the aspect setting. If you set Normal for an HD channel and set Stretch (or whatever) for an SD channel, then go back to any HD channel, the display will return to Normal (or whatever it was previously set to). I haven't explored every possibility yet, but so far this looks like a terrific feature that further puts the Dish 6000 above all other STBs in aspect flexibility.

So far I haven't had the "acquiring sat signal" problem when invoking the guide while watching an OTA station. Time will tell if this has truly been fixed.

You have to admit that Dish does deliver the goods. It may not always be perfect and they may occasionally stumble, but they do indeed seem to have the satisfaction of their customers in mind. I'm so glad Dish got DirecTV and I hope current DirecTV owners will see the benefits of having Dish as the new owner over that ultimate anti-HDTV creature called Rupert the Ruthless.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
So far I haven't had the "acquiring sat signal" problem when invoking the guide while watching an OTA station. Time will tell if this has truly been fixed.
I tried earlier and didn't have the problem either. Gonna test it in a couple of hours after "CSI" and "The Agency".

This is the only issue out of the ones mentioned that I've ever had, so I'll be quite happy if it goes away.

Roddie

·
Registered
224 Posts
It turns out that they didn't fix the channel mapping problem. Those of us who live in areas where PBS HD broadcasts on virtual channel 80, we still have to flip between Off-Air and Cable as the ANALOG TYPE. bummer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well - I've had it on OTA for exactly two hours and just pressed "Guide". Presto! Up came the guide, no more annoying "Acquiring Satellite Signal" message.

I'm going to leave it on OTA tonight when I turn it off and see how it acts in the morning. This is a good sign.

Roddie

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

You have to admit that Dish does deliver the goods.
I do. It's too bad that the PBS HD signal embedds the channel 80 mapping, I can try to get two stations but the mapping confuses the STB depending on switching sequence.

Tim

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht

I do. It's too bad that the PBS HD signal embedds the channel 80 mapping, I can try to get two stations but the mapping confuses the STB depending on switching sequence.

Tim
I haven't been able to check the channel 80 problem as our local PBS is converting the national feed to channel 59. From other posts, it sounds like this was supposed to be fixed but wasn't.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fredsal
It turns out that they didn't fix the channel mapping problem. Those of us who live in areas where PBS HD broadcasts on virtual channel 80, we still have to flip between Off-Air and Cable as the ANALOG TYPE. bummer.
I'm gonna verify this again tonight but it appears this has been fixed. Are you sure you have 752?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:
I'm gonna verify this again tonight but it appears this has been fixed. Are you sure you have 752?
Yes, I definitely have 752. In fact I've verified the channel change problem is gone, and I now have the "Analog Scan" feature. I was on the phone with DISH 6000 tech support last night, and the rep verified this was in the list of problems fixed by 752. He had me do various resets, all to no avail. Then he tried it on the 6000 receiver in his office (after installing the 752 software) and he duplicated the problem. He said he'd write it up.

If anyone finds this working now, please post it here. (Don't forget to set ANALOG TYPE to "Off-Air"!)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had the "Analog Scan" feature in 751 for sure, that's how I was able to figure out what channels I could get around here.

I left the receiver on an OTA channel and shut it off last night. Powered up this morning and was able to bring up the guide instantly and switch to a Dish channel. I like it...

Roddie

·
Registered
184 Posts
Last night I played around with the new software rev and how it handles format switching. Here's what I found:

1. when watching either analog OTA or non-HD sattelite channels, the format seems to default to 4:3 and the stretch mode is whatever you use (with the * button)

2. when watching HD sattelite (HBO-HD or SHO-HD) the stretch mode reverts to "normal" regardless of what you chose with the * button

3. the interesting case is when watching OTA DTV. Here I got mixed results: on some channels the stretch mode was used but on others the mode was "normal". In both cases the image was 4:3

I'm guessing that the broadcasters of OTA DTV are not setting the AFD correctly (the MPEG-2 Active Format Description in the user data field) so that the STB can identify the aspect ratio and do the right thing. It appears that the E* 6000 now scans the AFD to determine the image format and decide if it can apply stretch modes.

Does anyone have further information on this? One day we will be able to surf channels and have the STB dynamically select the right stretch mode for each format.. one day..

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ismeltitudeltit
Last night I played around with the new software rev and how it handles format switching. Here's what I found:

1. when watching either analog OTA or non-HD sattelite channels, the format seems to default to 4:3 and the stretch mode is whatever you use (with the * button)

2. when watching HD sattelite (HBO-HD or SHO-HD) the stretch mode reverts to "normal" regardless of what you chose with the * button

3. the interesting case is when watching OTA DTV. Here I got mixed results: on some channels the stretch mode was used but on others the mode was "normal". In both cases the image was 4:3

I'm guessing that the broadcasters of OTA DTV are not setting the AFD correctly (the MPEG-2 Active Format Description in the user data field) so that the STB can identify the aspect ratio and do the right thing. It appears that the E* 6000 now scans the AFD to determine the image format and decide if it can apply stretch modes.

Does anyone have further information on this? One day we will be able to surf channels and have the STB dynamically select the right stretch mode for each format.. one day..
The above is not entirely correct.

There are essentially two memories for aspect mode. One is for HD signals (720p and 1080i) and the other is for SD signals (480i/480p). This makes perfect sense given that the HD signals are inherently 16:9 and the SD signals can be 4:3 or widescreen. Remember that it doesn't matter if the content of an HD signal is 4:3--it's still considered a 16:9 frame in which the source inserts the black side bars.

Dish did a terrific job with this feature and the functionality is just perfect, IMHO.

Jerry

·
Registered
943 Posts
I still have 751. How can I initiate an update or how long does it take Dish to update everyone. I have a Dish 6000.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.