Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been a software upgrade?

Last night my 5040 crashed (Please Wait ... loop). I've done a soft boot (held down the power button for 30 seconds) and unplugged the unit for a half hour.

No dice.

Its just in a perpetual Please Wait... holding period. If I didn't have faith that someone here would have an answer to fix this problem I'd start to panic (hey I've got 2 episodes of 24 on there!).

So ... Please Help. Any suggestions to get past the Please Wait... screen would be appreciated.

(This is the second time the unit crashed this week -- it crashed on Monday as well, but I was able to get it working again then).

LT

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
unplug all cables before going to bed(then push the power button a few times to help drain) and plug it back after you get back from work.

when did you buy the thing?

cow

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Take icecow's advice and unplug everything overnight or longer. If that doesn't work, you will probably have to pull the drive and reimage it or RMA the unit. Since it sounds like your unit probably isn't under warranty, I would just reimage the drive. It is easy to do. Might as well upgrade to a larger hard drive while your at it (if you can afford it). You can save your shows (*.mpg, *.evt, *.ndx) to your PC using extract_rtv and stream them back using DVArchive.

What software build did you have at the time of the crash?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure of the build -- but I did have the new show/nav features. The last time this happened it was when the unit was trying to upgrade to the last big software rollout.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had two or three of these deadly crashes myself. Does anyone know what is causing them, if they are common, or how to prevent them? Usually it happens when I am fast-forwarding through a show. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vivarey
I've had two or three of these deadly crashes myself. Does anyone know what is causing them, if they are common, or how to prevent them? Usually it happens when I am fast-forwarding through a show. Thanks.
I theorize it is disk corruption/bad sectors. A Bad data can affect the picture quality and also the 'line of thought' of the replay. The stream might be barking mad commands to your replay which make it crash.

Wait a day or two for comments on AVS to see if someone has first hand expericence/solution to your problem. If your still stuck and it's not in warranty, image a trustable harddrive and put it in the replay. There's so many subtle ways a hard drive can be a problem it's a good place to start before going in the deep end.

cow

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
I theorize it is disk corruption/bad sectors. A Bad data can affect the picture quality and also the 'line of thought' of the replay. The stream might be barking mad commands to your replay which make it crash.

Wait a day or two for comments on AVS to see if someone has first hand expericence/solution to your problem. If your still stuck and it's not in warranty, image a trustable harddrive and put it in the replay. There's so many subtle ways a hard drive can be a problem it's a good place to start before going in the deep end.

cow
Thanks for the info. The unit is still in warranty. What will RTV do if I report this problem? I was thinking of upgrading the HD, but not now I'm weary of voiding my warranty. Hopefully this is just a software issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine died, too. I have tried most all the suggestions so at this point, looking for another so I can return/exchange it. The local RS (where purchased) has located one out of this district and are having it shipping down (so they tell me). Hopefully, here by the weekend. Lost quite a few shows - that's the bummer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've now unplugged it and reconnected my old 3030 that's been sitting on the coffee table for 6 months. I'll try reconnecting the 5040 in a few days to see if that works.

Maybe someone is telling me its really time to upgrade the 5040 with the 200gb drive I bought a few months back.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vivarey
Is there any way to diagnose the hard drive without taking it out of the unit (and voiding the warranty)? If not, there should be!
Not as far as I know. However, hard drive corruption is BY FAR the most common reason for the "Please Wait" loops and pretty much everything else provided the unit is actually getting power and trying to boot. Thus, if I were having these sort of problems and planning to upgrade to a larger HD anyway, I would have few qualms about voiding the warranty. YMMV, of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.