AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got one of my two 5160s I'm due as part of the trade-in plan for my 4532 (yes, I am still waiting for another one). The new 5160 isn't currently activated (got it Friday, just haven'y had time to call them yet). It does not have the current version of the software and several forced connects and checks for new software have not yielded results. It occurred to me that it might not be possible to get new software without activating, is that the case? Or is this the normal, "the mothership with get around to allowing you to update someday" situation?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thinks it's probably more of the latter. My 5504 had problems with its initial connections. So much, that I scrapped trying to connect via dialup (it never would complete a connection), carried it upstairs and wired it into the router until my wireless bridge came. A couple of force connects and a reboot or two, and I was updated with the current software version way before the end of activation.

Keep trying,

Patrick

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lots of people have had this problem. The modem fix is in the later software release, and you have allot of trouble getting the software release, hence the catch-22. My brother had this problem, brought it to my house to use my ethernet connected to dialup on my PC, completed first time without any trouble. When he got it back to his house, it worked first time for him as well.

If you don't have this option, search for help on slowing the modem down, that has worked for others.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm connecting fine (via ethernet), I'm just not getting the software update. I'll just assume it will "pick me" for the upgrade eventually and not worry about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The software updates can happen during the initial connect. I'd suspect even with the trial activation it would be fine with the update. ReplayTV wants the latest software on every box ASAP.

I don't think that's the problem what version of the software do you have/want?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new 5160 has version 530511400. My "old" 5000 series box has version 530510190, which I thought was the current version. But I have to say looking at the version numbers if I am right, their version numbers make no sense to me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Seems like your 'new' 5160 has a 'new' build of version 5.1. The official, mainstream version 5.1 is 530510190. There was mention a while ago of a beta version (build 125?, 530511250) that a few people admitted having. Maybe they're up to build 140 now.

You probably don't need to continue checking for updates with the 5160.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, at least that means the version numbers make sense.

But it's still bad news for me. The reason I thought it needed an upgrade wasn't really the version numbers. It was because this box is showing the same problem I had with the version prior to 5303510190. Specifically, while watching live TV, the Replay goes into a stutter mode after some period of time (less than two hours) and then lockups in a way requiring a forced reboot.

*sigh* An unintentional beta tester and I seem to be getting a raw deal for it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Don't suppose you could go into 411-RZ and tell us the build date, could ya?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be happy to do so.

But, I'm back at work now and tonight is bowling night so, it will be another 7 or 8 hours before I can post the info.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It seems unlikely with a 'new' unit, and especially a large disk one at that, but here goes...

1) Is the disk by any chance very full? Even with version 5.1 I occasionally see stuttering on live TV when my 5040 disk is nearly full with recorded shows.

You also mention that it's a chronic problem after you've been watching TV for a while. More unlikely but repeatable causes of stuttering reported around here:

2) Streaming, transferring to DVArchive (or maybe even IVS-ing?) while watching live TV. Since live TV is buffered in High quality, that keeps an RTV 5xxx unit pretty busy. Other demands on the processor can cause stuttering.

3) Do you leave the blue light on ALL THE TIME, or do you put the RTV into stand-by (blue light off) when you're not watching something. Leaving the blue beacon shining all the time means it's always buffering and thus the disk can fill up with the live TV buffer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hmmm, a new software version....that would eventually cause everybody's ReplayTV to update...and kind of undoes anybody that reimaged their 5500 with a 5000 image, eh?

Of course, we all knew it was going to happen....some of us even expected it to happen (hopefully it fixes bugs as well, without introducing new ones.)

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Tact
The new 5160 has version 530511400. My "old" 5000 series box has version 530510190, which I thought was the current version. But I have to say looking at the version numbers if I am right, their version numbers make no sense to me.
Are you sure that isn't 530510140?

·
Registered
915 Posts
140 is not a network release version. It only ships on units from the RMA center whether they be bstock or RMA replacements. It's the same as build 19 with some additional changes to accomodate the test stations.

Lyndon

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Positive. It's 530511400. "Built on Dec 9 2003 at 11:22:19"

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Are you sure that isn't 530510140?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1) I recorded a couple of show without problems, but with a 160 G disk it would take me about a week of recording shows I don't care about to fill the disk.

2) I'm not doing any streaming, transferring or IVSing with this Replay. I have and do occasionally use DVArchive but I haven't used it since this box arrived.

3) Basically, I HAVE to turn it off. If I leave it on, when I return to my apartment, it will be locked up. As I said, I observed this behavior in a previous version but it went away with the "current standard" release.

Quote:
Originally posted by gpsjim
It seems unlikely with a 'new' unit, and especially a large disk one at that, but here goes...

1) Is the disk by any chance very full? Even with version 5.1 I occasionally see stuttering on live TV when my 5040 disk is nearly full with recorded shows.

You also mention that it's a chronic problem after you've been watching TV for a while. More unlikely but repeatable causes of stuttering reported around here:

2) Streaming, transferring to DVArchive (or maybe even IVS-ing?) while watching live TV. Since live TV is buffered in High quality, that keeps an RTV 5xxx unit pretty busy. Other demands on the processor can cause stuttering.

3) Do you leave the blue light on ALL THE TIME, or do you put the RTV into stand-by (blue light off) when you're not watching something. Leaving the blue beacon shining all the time means it's always buffering and thus the disk can fill up with the live TV buffer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, if I reimage the disk it won't update to this version? I may have to do that...

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
140 is not a network release version. It only ships on units from the RMA center whether they be bstock or RMA replacements. It's the same as build 19 with some additional changes to accomodate the test stations.

Lyndon

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, I had been exaggerating how long it took for the stuttering to start -- mostly because I thought I had to be mistaken. I'm pretty bad at gauging time unless I am specifically paying attention to it. I just finished timing it. From the time I turned on the unit until it started to stutter was 18 minutes the first time, I changed the channel soon enough that I didn't need a reboot. The second time it again took 18 minutes for the stuttering to start.... pretty consistent.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, I'd suspect the disk next. Try a Factory Reset. If that doesn't help, I'd think the choices would be:

- RMA

- Pull the drive and run diagnostics. If it tests out OK, low-level format it and patch it with a 530510190 image. If diagnostics say it's bad, RMA the drive to the manufacturer.

- Seek out Mikeyboy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.