AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a 42" Plasma and came across this one at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...4&log=&NavTop=

Has anyone heard of it? I have been reading for a couple of weeks and understand that Panasonic is for the most part considered to be the best 42", but I want a tuner and speakers. I have surround sound set up, but my wife doesn't want to watch Oprah in dolby digital.

Anyway is this thing any good? Who makes it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone recognize the specs?

Featuring a stylish, contemporary brushed aluminum cabinet, the solé 42" plasma television comes ready to go; just plug into your cable outlet or satellite box and let the home theater experience begin. Dual built-in 181 channel TV tuners with MTS stereo decoder, 10 watts per channel sound system and included matching speakers mean this is a true TV, not just a monitor. Of course it is also HDTV compatible. Via an advanced internal scaler, the solé can accept HDTV signal inputs - 480p, 720p and 1080i. All you need is a decoder box to get a crisp, precise picture through the HD/STD component video inputs. The incredible 700:1 contrast ratio along with superior 700 cd/m2 brightness makes this television the perfect choice for your next home theater upgrade.

Display:

Screen Size: 42" Diagonal

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen

Native Resolution: 852 (H) x 480 (V)

Brightness: 700 cd/m²

Contrast Ratio 700:1

Output Color: 16.7 million colors

Viewing Angle: 160° (L/R)

PC Input Support: Up to 1280 x 1024 @75Hz

On Screen Display: English, Spanish, French, German and Italian

Signals:

Video System Compatibility: NTSC

HDTV Compatibility: 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p

(requires optional external HDTV decoder)

Inputs:

HD Component (Y, Pb, Pr, L, R): RCA set x 1

Component (Y, Cb, Cr, L, R): RCA set x 1

S-Video: 4-pin Mini-DIN x 1

RGB (Analog): 15-pin D-Sub x 1

Composite: RCA-Pin x 1 set

RF Antenna x 1 (NTSC)

Outputs:

Audio: Cinch Conn Type (L/R) x 1

(4 cinch connectors type)

Control Port:

RS-232: 9-pin D-Sub x 1

General:

Power Requirements:

90 ~ 264V AC, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption: Under 400W typical

Dimensions (W x H x D):

42.52" x 26.38" x 3.92" (panel only)

Weight:

72.6 lbs. (panel only)

101.4 lbs. (with speakers and stand)

Warranty: One year parts and labor

Additional Features:

Picture-In-Picture (PIP): Dual NTSC TV/CATV tuners allow PIP with four selectable window positions and multiple input choices

Digital 3D comb filter (NTSC): 3D comb filter converts analog signal to digital for enhanced video performance

Onboard Sound: Built-in 10W x 2 channel amp with MTS stereo decoding powers side mounted color-matching stereo speakers

Included Accessories: Full-function remote control, side mounted speakers and color matching tabletop stand

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the Sampo from Costco. I say just buy it and see if you like it. Return it if you don't, and be the first to give a review here!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Please do buy it and let us know how you like it! I posted the same request for info on this unit about a month ago and got no responses. I keep hoping Costco will come up with a great display at a great price because I really like their no-hassle return policy if anything goes wrong EVER. They don't even sell extended warranties because they would rather take care of their customers with refunds/replacement if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
How can you pass up Oprah in Dolby Digital? :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
How can you pass up Oprah in Dolby Digital? :)
Rogo, stop, you're scaring me! Hope I don't have surround sound nightmares now. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kronium, how do you like your Sampo? I'm sure you have already given us a review but can you update us? How was Costco's Service? White Glove Delivery Service? My wife didn't freak out when I showed her the price and she got a kick out of this thread and your comments so I might actually buy the solé. I guess I can be the Guinea pig and do the review for the group. Especially with Costco's return policy. Last Chance anyone want to talk me out of it?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
On the surround-sound Oprah, they should have the opening use all five channels...

Announcer Gimme an O (left front)

Gimme a P (right rear)

Gimme an R (center channel)

Gimme an A (left rear)

Gimme an H (right front)

What's that spell? (center channel)

Audience: OPRAH (all channels)

LOL!

Mark

·
Registered
260 Posts
Rogo, you just described my personal hell that satan has planned out for me! A sweet surround setup, and nothing but oprah to listen to... I'll never understand my fiance, or women for that matter. :)

PlasmaBy2003, I like my Sampo, and am considering keeping it. Originally I planned to get a 50" with DVI-HDCP next year, but it's just not a priority right now. It may not be the best panel out there, but definitely a decent one, especially considering price. I purchased it at a Costco outlet, so I had to take it home myself. I actually got it in my Lexus IS300(minus the box), so you shouldn't have a problem! Things I love about the set are styling, brightness, included wall mount, discrete input/power switching, and of course price.

If you decide to keep the Sole, make sure it's worth the $3500 to you. You can get a panasonic for the same price online, but then again, how can you put a price on Costco's wonderful return poilcy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
SD cable(Time Warner) is not that great, but so is the case with a lot of plasmas. If you have the money, invest in a scaler for a vast improvement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone have experience with this set? It's a pretty good deal when you consider it includes a stand, speakers, and dual built in tuners. Like the original poster, this makes this a good choice for my house, as the wife would not want to turn on the receiver/external tuner/speakers to watch Oprah.

Plus, I really value the Costco return policy and I get a percentage back as an Executive Club member and using AmEx.

Anyone?

·
Registered
129 Posts
In researching this a little more, I think the Sole is really an Akai. Not sure if the Akai is really something else. If you look at the pic and specs of the Sole vs the Akai, specially the Akai 50" linked here:
http://www.akaiusa.com/products/pdp50s50.htm

And we now learn that Costco is having a coupon sale.

42" Akai Plasma Monitor w/Wall Mount ITEM:622616 (1/20-1/26)

$3499.99 - $300 coupon - $200 rebate = $2999.99

Sounds a little different, but still an Akai and now with a wall bracket instead of a table mount.

·
Registered
55 Posts
FWIW, I just received a CostCo book of coupons which advertises a 42" Akai Plasma with wall mount for $3499.99 less $300 coupon at register less $200 rebate for a net price of $2999.99. Also claims it is available from their website. So at least in some situations it is an Akai they are actually selling. The coupon is valid January 20-January 26 and I am happy to send it to someone as I will not be using it (Still seems to me the Panny at $3600 is a better bet.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ainar
(Still seems to me the Panny at $3600 is a better bet.)
Yes, except as I posted above. If this Akai is the same or similar to the "Sole'" which I think is an Akai, then it includes speakers, a stand, two built in TV tuners, and an audio amplifier... making it good as a stand alone TV set, which the Panny is not. Plus, it includes the best return policy that is Costco's. Plus with the Executive Card and AmEx rebates, your cost is about $100 less, or $2900.

I have not seen the pic in the coupon book. But it raises some questions. The only 42" I have seen in a Costco were the older Sony, Sampo, and the Daewoo. I have not seen the Sole' or the Akai except on their online site. According to a Costco CSR I spoke to yesterday, there are no stores with the Sole' being displayed.

But if they are showing this as a coupon item, I would think there is a better chance we should be seeing this set in the stores.

If it indeed does have the built in tuners and speakers and it's under $3000, then the trade off regarding it vs the Panny *may* be worth while. Maybe. The only way for me to really know that is to see it.

I agree with you Ainar that if it does not include the goodies, then I would rather pay $600 more and be assured of the PQ on the Panny. It would also help my decision if Costco carried the Panasonic. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I read on another forum that the Akai is a re-badged Samsung. Does anyone know this to be true?

Also, I take it that "Native Resolution: 852 (H) x 480 (V)" makes this an EDTV versus HDTV.

I am interested in the Akai, which would compete with my choices of the 50" GWII, the Samsung DLP and the Panny DLP... and my fickle self trying to get a new TV (since I bought a 32" TV in '95) with my year-end bonus.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
...nudge... How can you tell where the re-badged panel comes from?

Thanks,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like you were correct that it is a rebadged Samsung.

Next question, what are the reviews of the Samsung?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.