AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing severe impulse noise interference from channel 2 up through the lower UHF frequencies since late last week. I'm wondering whether this is a local phenomenon or whether it may be associated with the high solar activity that has been occuring.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for asking this question. I would love to see some additional information on solar flares and other atmospheric phenomena.

Also, could you detail how "impulse noise interference" manifests itself? Is there a good source on the net, explaining various receptions glitches, to help us viewers better identify a problem and find a fix?

Linda

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Linda,

On analog TV pictures, impulse noise interference, which can arise from a variety of sources besides the geomagnetic disturbances caused by solar flares (such as noisy car ignitions or arcing electric devices) looks like little black and white dots and lines on top of the picture. I've observed this off and on my whole life but this is my first experience with impulse noise interference to digital television signals. On digital TV severe impulse noise can impede the receiver's ability to capture data resulting in pixelation, freezes or complete lose of data. I have been experiencing nearly impossible reception of the two (VHF) DTV stations in Miami, about 50 miles away, plus severe interference to local West Palm Beach and Miami VHF and even UHF analog stations.

I'd welcome info on any websites that covers this. I've been told by on of our engineers who also happens to be a ham operator that 3 Mhz ham frequencies on up have been badly disrupted for several days as well.

Parenthetically, 8-VSB is claimed to be less susceptible to impulse noise interference than COFDM. This is a bigger issue for North America than for Europe because while European DTV is UHF only, North American DTV continues to use VHF as well as UHF frequencies and VHF tends to have more of this type of interference than UHF.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm a shortwave radio buff. I've listened to shortwave every night for many years.

Last week was the worst reception I can remember. Nothing came in clear except for a few of the strongest stations. Even the BBC which is the standard-bearer for me came in quite noisy.

------------------

Stan Z

·
Registered
224 Posts

I monitor data backbone traffic from an international telecom netops center in Dallas, and we watch for these, too.

"Space Weather News for April 1, 2001
http://www.spaceweather.com

A severe geomagnetic storm that began around 0100 UT on Saturday, March

31st (8 pm EST on Friday, March 30th) is still raging a day later. Sky

watchers should remain alert for auroras after nightfall on Saturday

--even if you happen to live someplace where auroras are rare. Last

night's Northern Lights, for example, extended as far south in the United

States as Texas, Arizona, and southern California."

Went on to say that we seem to be on the downward slide from the peaks of coronal ejections experienced last year. It's an 11 year cycle, I think I remember.

------------------

John Hancock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.