AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at plasma in particular, fixed pixel devices in general, I see a lot of what used to be called "solarization".

Blotchy skin tones everywhere. Like the bedroom scene in the beginning of "HOLLOW MAN"

chapter 11 of FINDING NEMO has good examples. The angler fish "lamp" has concentric rings of light instead of a continuous fade. This not a back level problem.

Seconds later the effect is seen on the safety green strap of the goggles. As the angler moves around the light intensity changes and the strap show clear steps in shading. Close up of the strap looks really blotchy.

The Korean LCDs look the worst. The Fujitsu and Loewe plasmas look bad.

A paired Faroudja DVD and DLP projector shows none of the effect nor does the Madrigal MP-9 driven by a Runco scalar and Lexicon DVD.

Having moved several DVD players around, the DVD player is not the culprit. We also tried S-video and 480i and 480p compnoent.

Is the eye so sensitive to suble color shades that most of the current processing technology is visible?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I am just theorizing here, but you are probably seeing the differences between lower bit depths and higher bit depths - like 8 bit color compared to 9 or 10 bit color.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.