AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1522557/fs-danley-sound-labs-sm60f#post_24498860

Oh man I wish I had the cash for these!
Honestly I don't really want to sell em, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio  /t/1522557/fs-danley-sound-labs-sm60f#post_24502052

Sometimes, what you should do is not what you shouldn't do, but if you decide, then don't. Sad day.
Your not making it any easier!

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Yessir! Danley's in da house!

JTR/Danley comparo underway. I can say already that these Danley's are one nice speaker. The JTR's have a massive soundstage but the Danley has them beat. The directivity is remarkable and it's like I installed room treatments, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Reef. I know this thread is old but I'm on the crux of making a decision on selling my B&W 703's and replacing them with a pair DSL sm60f's. I'd like your feedback on how you liked them for listening to music? I'm after a higher, unstrained spl, great midrange punch and good detail. I do watch movies, but music is my passion. I have (2)SVS PB12+ to handle the low end and Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks for the speakers. Do you find the JTR's a better fit for yout HT? I'd appreciate ANY input you have.

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Hi Reef. I know this thread is old but I'm on the crux of making a decision on selling my B&W 703's and replacing them with a pair DSL sm60f's. I'd like your feedback on how you liked them for listening to music? I'm after a higher, unstrained spl, great midrange punch and good detail. I do watch movies, but music is my passion. I have (2)SVS PB12+ to handle the low end and Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks for the speakers. Do you find the JTR's a better fit for yout HT? I'd appreciate ANY input you have.
Not Reef, but these speakers were mine before they went to Dave, then to Gooddoc, then to a couple other folks :) For what you are looking for, it sounds like the 60f's are a great fit for you, but they will be very different from the B&W offering. Output, definitely no problem there. midrange punch is surprisingly good with them, to the point I thought they were the seaton cat 12's during a blind testing session. The soundstage on the danley offerings is unlike anything I have ever demoed before. They just present the most incredible imaging I have ever heard, and is one of the main reasons why I moved up to the sh50's! I am still happy with them to this day :D The offer the absolute best performance and sound that I have experienced, and I have listened to quite a few different speaker designs in my life thus far :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not Reef, but these speakers were mine before they went to Dave, then to Gooddoc, then to a couple other folks :) For what you are looking for, it sounds like the 60f's are a great fit for you, but they will be very different from the B&W offering. Output, definitely no problem there. midrange punch is surprisingly good with them, to the point I thought they were the seaton cat 12's during a blind testing session. The soundstage on the danley offerings is unlike anything I have ever demoed before. They just present the most incredible imaging I have ever heard, and is one of the main reasons why I moved up to the sh50's! I am still happy with them to this day :D The offer the absolute best performance and sound that I have experienced, and I have listened to quite a few different speaker designs in my life thus far :)
Thanks for the reply beast, I truly appreciate and respect your input. The question I have is why does this model seem to be passed around? Should I cut to the chase and go with a synergy horn like the sh50/60? This is afterall a small home venue. Or should I wait for a possible "revoicing" of the sh60 to the "Studio 60"?

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Thanks for the reply beast, I truly appreciate and respect your input. The question I have is why does this model seem to be passed around? Should I cut to the chase and go with a synergy horn like the sh50/60? This is afterall a small home venue. Or should I wait for a possible "revoicing" of the sh60 to the "Studio 60"?
Actually, The studio 60 will be a redo of the sm60F, but at this point they may be looking at a larger cabinet IIRC. The 60F has been "passed" around for quite a few reasons honestly, while all stops made, each owner was impressed with them but are just as crazy as I am when it comes to switching out speakers. Reef didn't have them up for very long (aka didn't give em a fair shot....kidding Dave ;) ) but decided to stick with his original plan and keep his JTR 212's and 215rt's. Quite the stout competitors. Gooddoc moved on to the sh50's after the 60f's and then subsequently to the JBL M2 (not close to the same price league as the 60f). Wherever they are now, I am not sure, but each owner has put them up against some VERY stiff competition. I personally have not found anything that I prefer over the synergy concept. It just does things that other traditional designs cant. True point source.

In regards to moving on up to the 50's vs the 60f's, the size difference between the two is drastic, and the 50's carry virtually NO WAF factor if that is a problem. Otherwise, the sh50 takes everything the sm60f does and just does it a little more "refined" IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is great! You've given me more to go on than the all the time I've spent searching the forums. What's your opinion on the sh50 vs sh60? Wouldn't the greater dispersion angle with the sh60 be preferable? Thank goodness the WAF isn't a factor in this case. I've even considered a trip the Georgia seeing how this is not something I want to take lightly. Again, I can't thank you enough for your time and input!

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
This is great! You've given me more to go on than the all the time I've spent searching the forums. What's your opinion on the sh50 vs sh60? Wouldn't the greater dispersion angle with the sh60 be preferable? Thank goodness the WAF isn't a factor in this case. I've even considered a trip the Georgia seeing how this is not something I want to take lightly. Again, I can't thank you enough for your time and input!
Where are you located? I'd be happy to demo the 50's in a domestic space if you wanted. As far as the 50/60 difference. It entirely depends on your placement and room dimensions. With that said, I believe that there still is a good reason they consider the sh50 their "Flagship" speaker. Take that fwiw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where are you located? I'd be happy to demo the 50's in a domestic space if you wanted. As far as the 50/60 difference. It entirely depends on your placement and room dimensions. With that said, I believe that there still is a good reason they consider the sh50 their "Flagship" speaker. Take that fwiw.
I'm in south central Michigan, my Danley distrbutor knows of no one in my area. I'm comfortable enough to make the plunge on the sm60f based on the reviews I read of your GTG a couple of years back that incuded them, plus all the info I've gathered from the forums and the Danley reps. I know they'll go well in my small environment and compliment my SVS subs. Besides, I know there's a used market out there!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts