AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well apparently I jumped the gun a bit. We were scheduled to have a new house built this year and COVID has put a wrench in these plans as builders are insanely overwhelmed and price gouging as of late. My builder literally reached out to me a couple weeks ago and raised his initial bid by $50,000. Needless to say we had some choice words and parted ways.

I literally just sold my new 990 as I wouldn't be needing a pj for a few months but............................... So now I am looking at picking up something new to hold me over until we try this again next spring. I have my eye on either the RS1000 or 2000. I'm super worried the 1000 contrast will be very disappointing but this isn't a long term solution so I'm open to a small downgrade. I also have been using a lens for years so I'd really like to stick with that direction but I'm curious is the newer pj's can get away with zooming more than the older ones. Here are my options: RS1000 with DCR-C or RS2000 zooming. I'd like to keep the budget under RS2000 with DCR but would consider this if it's large improvement.

Gray walls, black ceiling/sofits. Velvet on first 4' of side walls. 100% light controlled.

Projector firing from app. 18' at 110" wide AT screen. Also curious if HDR will fly here. My last JVC was pretty dim with this setup.

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
Well apparently I jumped the gun a bit. We were scheduled to have a new house built this year and COVID has put a wrench in these plans as builders are insanely overwhelmed and price gouging as of late. My builder literally reached out to me a couple weeks ago and raised his initial bid by $50,000. Needless to say we had some choice words and parted ways.

I literally just sold my new 990 as I wouldn't be needing a pj for a few months but............................... So now I am looking at picking up something new to hold me over until we try this again next spring. I have my eye on either the RS1000 or 2000. I'm super worried the 1000 contrast will be very disappointing but this isn't a long term solution so I'm open to a small downgrade. I also have been using a lens for years so I'd really like to stick with that direction but I'm curious is the newer pj's can get away with zooming more than the older ones. Here are my options: RS1000 with DCR-C or RS2000 zooming. I'd like to keep the budget under RS2000 with DCR but would consider this if it's large improvement.

Gray walls, black ceiling/sofits. Velvet on first 4' of side walls. 100% light controlled.

Projector firing from app. 18' at 110" wide AT screen. Also curious if HDR will fly here. My last JVC was pretty dim with this setup.
What fabric in your screen?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

What fabric in your screen?[/QUOTE]

Seymour center stage xd.

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
What fabric in your screen?[/QUOTE]

Seymour center stage xd.[/QUOTE]

With your throw and screen, you have enough light output to go with or without the DCR. With that said, you would have a lot more light output with the DCR, along with the other benefits the DCR offers. I think if you buy the RS2000, it will become more of a long term projector, rather than a fill in projector. Then later add the DCR. This would be a much cheaper route than buying RS1000 and DCR, then replacing RS1000 in a year.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. I'll look into the RS2000 for the interim. I actually would prefer to put the money into a new receiver. I'm setup for 9.1.4 (using heights) which my 3050 won't do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts