Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I'm interested in some opinions following some work I carried out this weeked. I've been changing the binding posts on my SL-3's from their original ones to new models that can take banana plugs. Needless to say a binding post is a pretty big chunk of metal. Whilst I normally use a small 40W iron for component work, I have a Weller 100W soldering gun for more heavy duty work. In this case, however, I was having real problems getting the actual post upto a temperature where the solder would happily flow. I've therefore been wondering if I'd be better using a gas powered soldering iron or a temperature controlled iron with a larger desoldering bit to transfer the heat more efficiently.

As I know several of you out there have built or are building your own speakers, what are you using for soldering the speaker binding posts. I should mention I was using a 2% Silver solder which, on reflection was maybe not the best choice for this job, therefore any suggestions as to what your preferred solder would be for this kind of work would also be appreciated.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know why the speaker designers and builders aren't responding. It's very uncommon not to get a single response to a thread in these forums.

I don't have any input here is a site that might have something of interest, http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/audiolitzwirebraid.html

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm also waiting for an answer to these questions. I am about to start a speaker project and I need to buy soldering equipment.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Check out the Cardas site. He has some specific recommendations as to solder types to use for AV work.

Sorry. Don't know about the iron

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had trouble soldering 12 guage wire to banana plugs. I finally found a nice soldering gun at Sears. Its has a tip like an iron and handle like a gun, also has a light. Its around $60.00 and was 100-400 watts if I recall. Can get you more info if your interested. Plenty of heat, just be careful you don't melt other things touching what your soldering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t build speakers, but as an electronic design tech in the R & D department of a large Oil Service Company I use solder and soldering irons on a daily basis. For low temp solder work on electronics where the parts will be operating under 150 deg. C, we use mildly activated rosin core Sn63 solder exclusively. It’s a eutectic solder. It’s like old 60/40 solder, but this solder goes from liquid straight to a solid. No plastic state where you wiggle and make bad joints! Hope this helps.

Jesse

·
Registered
71 Posts
My soldering station of choice is a Weller WTCPT Soldering Station

using a 700 degree tip.

Solder is 4% silver, if you have problems flowing, the use 2% silver solder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.