AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys have been great in the past in advising me on a pioneer 420 and then the 533h...so am back asking for what is out there now that produces excellent video quality dvd's only will do Dual/double layer disks as well if there are any..i was for some reason under the impression that the 533h did DL disks but i put one in and it kep spitting it back at me..so what is new and affordable and great quality video on dvd-r's and DL dvd's? thanks much...t

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have the Pio 640. It does DL discs just fine. It will copy at high speed, HDD --> DL DVD. It will not do a "disc backup" from a DL DVD. When you select your thumbnail shot, you must do so from the first layer, or you will get the last frame on the first layer. I have used +R DL discs, even though I use -R SL discs, since the +R DLs are easier to find, and less expensive.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/0

..i was for some reason under the impression that the 533h did DL disks but i put one in and it kep spitting it back at me..

The 533 (and 633 like I have) will only record to DVD-R DL's, not DVD+R DL's. Unfortunately the DVD-R DL's are twice the price of the DVD+R DL's (at least they were the last time I bought any).

From everything I've read, the 640 is a fine unit. I'm considering getting one just to be able to use the less-expensive DVD+R DL's. And to replace a Panasonic E85H (backup recorder) that will probably move to the bedroom.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart /forum/post/0

The 533 (and 633 like I have) will only record to DVD-R DL's, not DVD+R DL's. Unfortunately the DVD-R DL's are twice the price of the DVD+R DL's (at least they were the last time I bought any).

From everything I've read, the 640 is a fine unit. I'm considering getting one just to be able to use the less-expensive DVD+R DL's. And to replace a Panasonic E85H (backup recorder) that will probably move to the bedroom.

Hi KJ and Bob..

that answered my question..the disk i stuck in was a +..i thought the 533 did DL...but did not realize that it was - only..that kinda sucks.

I wonder whey the - in this case are more expensive than the + when the + Sl were more expensive than the - SL?..hmm...wierd.

And to both of you, somethin KJ brought up....leads to another question..

first tho, KJ, is the quality of vidoe on the 640 great?

Then is there much more entailed in recording DL than SL..i.e. the thing you mentioned about the thumbnail?..is there much more to it than a SL?

I asked this in an earlier thread, if I wanted to burn the best quality SL dvd I would burn at 1 hour per dvd disk, right? What is the best quality (equal to the 1 hour on SL), on a dual layer? 1.5 hour per disk?would 1.5 hour on a dual layer in quality equate to quality of 1 hr on a SL disk? or would it be 2 hours on DL?

a Waste I know but say an hour on a DL...is that the very best quality better than 1 hour on SL?

Just wondering because I know when I burn a DL data disk I don't get the full 8.5 gigs to use, just like a 100 gig hdd you don't use all 100 gigs, only about 97 or so...So I am wondering what the quality equivalent of 1 hour on SL is equal to on a DL, and what is the best quality on a DL?

Thanks guys you are the greatest....I do so want to stick with pioneer...my panny's were great for Ram but for everything else my 533 and 420 have been excellent...

and thanks again Bob for that interesting tidbit....I could a swore the 533 did DL..but could not figure why it kept spitting it back out at me....cause it was a + disk...dumb me...

Heck up until the other day I was not even sure they made -DL...never saw any.....even at best buy, and walmart and officemax...just + DL...but the price swap is wierd...

Don't suppose you could recommend a brand or model of +DL disks that are dependable and great compatibility? I ususally get all my media at Rima.com..great company and think I got 3 verbatim's the last time of +DL..thanks again...t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and i don't really need a hard drive model if there is another good one without a hdd...btw does the 640 have dv in or out? I am afraid that I wasted my money on the 533 because i have never used the hdd...t

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
It is generally agreed that Verbatim makes the best +R DL discs.

As to the thumbnail thing, it is no big deal, it just seems that when scanning to find the thumbnail you have picked, it stops at the end of the first layer, so you have to pick one on the first layer.

As to best quality burn, it will be XP, just like on a SL disc, and look just as good. But, a DL disc is not quite as big as twice a SL disc, so you get about 1.8 times as much recording time, or about 110 minutes, at XP.

I love my Pio 640, and think it has excellent PQ. At XP, I can't really tell the difference between the recording and the SD original. I usually use SP, or better, if I can fit the whole program on one disc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks KJ...you sold me on it...the only thing that I might miss would be the dv input...but haven't used the one on my 533 yet so prob won't need it nyway..thanks so much...t

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.