AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am very excited. My VT540 should be on the way and I want to make sure I have everything covered before it arrives. I have a grey screen that I have tested with another vt540 before so I am covered there. I did the pin pulls to make a component cable. I have read the threads on where most find contrast and brightness to be optimal. I have an htpc with the 2MX card so no worries there (perhaps upgrade to a Radeon?). Are there any other suggestions that other vt540 owners out there might be able to give me?

Thanks.

JP

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I was already aware of that. Thanks though. The component cable is for my dvdo to go to the vt540. If dscaler could produce a better image than the dvdo for ntsc signals I would be set. However, its been my experience that the dvdo still outperforms a htpc for ntsc signals. My biggest complaint has been noise when using dscaler. The noise filter works but then I feel it softens the picture too much. The dvdo does about as good a job as can be expected I suppose.

Thanks again.

JP

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drmyeyes:

Besides, I found that my VT540 crops the image (?overscan) with component, but is fine with RGB.
This can be corrected using the ImageOptions->AdvancedOptions->Position/Clock menu's Horizontal and Vertical sliders. This only works for RGB or an HDTV signal.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've tried two different DVD players. Both are cropped the same.

Using the iScan Pro to RGB input, I find that setting the clock to 777 and adjusting the horizontal position allows me to see the whole image in proper aspect ratio. I use the ISCO for the anamorphic squeeze, as the projector does not do this in RGB mode.

TK: to see if your projector is cropping, watch a few known 2.35:1 discs, and measure the horizontal and vertical dimensions, to calculate the actual aspect ratio you're seeing. If it's any less than 2.35:1, you're losing horizontal information.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
re.. cropping/overscan.

I hope you guys are aware that some DVD players (and other output devices) also crop the image slightly, so it's possible that the projector is not at fault here.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think that some cropping with ordinary video/component signals is normal. Like have you ever seen TV without cropping...

There are even regulations about where you should put information in video so that everyone can see it (meaning that there shouldn't be any crucial information on any corners of screen)

RGB is a different issue, you have to see everything.

I did some comparing between s-video and component video. I noticed that using component input I get a bit more information both ways, horizontally and vertically. Screen size was same all the time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Screen size will always be the same- the projector fills the full panel. 2.35 DVDs allow you to estimate how much is missing, because they are letterboxed, and so you can measure your effective aspect ratio. Multiply the height of the image by 2.35 to see how wide the image should be, and compare that to what you're seeing. I haven't actually tried this since I'm now set up for RGB, but I think I was losing about 6" of picture on a 104" wide 2.35 screen, not insignificant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only thing I needed to do is adjust "Contrast Green" in the advanced menu down to about 30% , then it was easy to get pure colors and great greyscale from the Video Essentials dvd.

I'm using scrap 25FT RG-58 Ethernet BNC cables for component input, and get a perfect picture. Cropping looks correct based on one of the "image position" stills that is on the VE dvd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.