AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was pre wired for surround. When I pulled the wire plates the wire the builder ran were solid core copper, 14 GA (Best Guess). I plan on re-running these wires at some point because the locations are not ideal. Currently my system sounds great, but I have just read a couple vague posts saying to make sure the speaker wire is not solid so... My question is what if any issues are there to using the solid core wires?

Thank you in advance for your input!

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Was it Romex?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai
Was it Romex?
No, one wire is black one red and it has an outer layer of white insulation. I couldn't pull enough out to see any markings on the outside. If I didn't see the solid end I would think it was standard speaker wire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

I figured it would work for now, at least until I get the time to run new wires to better locations. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't either losing signal or possibly causing any damage in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterfarian /forum/post/20831251

Solid wire is more difficult to work with than stranded wire. Electrically there will be NO difference.

Actually, there's not quite "no difference" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect ] . . . and 'over the years' I've read/seen significant debate on the issue in the 'glossy AV' magazines. IIRC, for a while in the 1980s(?) the UK mags were enthusing over 'wide and flattened' single core speaker wire, while the US mags only endorsed multi stranded speaker wire . . . and obviously both could not be "the better choice"?!

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/20831448

Actually, there's not quite "no difference" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect ] . . . and 'over the years' I've read/seen significant debate on the issue in the 'glossy AV' magazines. IIRC, for a while in the 1980s(?) the UK mags were enthusing over 'wide and flattened' single core speaker wire, while the US mags only endorsed multi stranded speaker wire . . . and obviously both could not be "the better choice"?!

If there's a difference and you can't hear it, is there a difference?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/20831448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterfarian /forum/post/20831508

... here we go

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterfarian /forum/post/20831508

[Is that intended as a reflexive question?] I can't possibly tell whether or not your ears can detect a difference . . . but my comment was only a response to your assertion that "Electrically there will be NO difference."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.