AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my low-end Toshiba DVD player. While functional, it tends to lock up and pixelate on scratched discs and its resume feature is spotty at best. The build quality also feels poor.

The DVD player feeds an X1 projector (progressive required, upconverting not required) in a dark-basement HT and a Pioneer 1014TX.

I am willing to spend up to $200 if necessary, but am swimming in options. I have read through several pages of this forum but have not been able to identify any clear favorites.

Compatibility with all types of discs and software types is essential, DivX would be nice but not essential, as are SACD and DVD-A.

The Pioneer 578 and 588 universal players look pretty good, but I've been unable to find them in an B&M stores.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these and other players for my purposes, thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own question for the sake of anyone who is interested, I picked up a Pioneer 588a and am pretty pleased.

I don't really like the front panel design but its a minor complaint. The video output to my X1 via component (non-progressive, I let the X1 handle that) is beautiful, and the audio is also very nice. I am hearing details on DVD soundtracks, particularly in the surround channels, that I have not heard before.

Setup is simple and logical, and the on screen menus are clear and well thought out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You might want to get the upconverting Oppo player. it plays MPEG-4 video, as well as DVD-A. I don't think it plays SACD though??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.