AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pickup a pair of these for $500, never heard of the brand, so I need your input!

Many thanks guys

·
Registered
525 Posts
Their frequency response for the 5.3i speaker is 30Hz-20kHz, 30Hz is highly optomistic for most floorstander at +- 3db, at +-5 or 6 maybe. I vote white van but the site looks professional......

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich /forum/post/14289091

Their frequency response for the 5.3i speaker is 30Hz-20kHz, 30Hz is highly optomistic for most floorstander at +- 3db, at +-5 or 6 maybe. I vote white van but the site looks professional......

I hope you left a hanging chad! Yes, the specs are, umm, optimistic but, if these are really Soliloquys, they are very good speakers. The originals were designed by Dennis Had of Cary Audio. I reviewed one of the original 5.3s here: http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/459/

·
Registered
525 Posts
punch that chad out if I am wrong then. They do look very nice I must admit.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich /forum/post/14289197

punch that chad out if I am wrong then. They do look very nice I must admit.

Yes. The only caveat is whether they are still made in NC or are they made in China where most of Phil Jones' stuff is made. Not that they cannot still be great but they would be somewhat different. I wonder if the OP, for $500, is getting the originals or new ones.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure, but I emailed asking when they were purchased.

So just for review sake, these are legit speakers? It looks like he reposted with a lower price, $400, even if they are made in china, is that still a decent upgrade from a pair of Beta 20's?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pictures, Can any of you tell from these if the speakers are the real deal?

Thanks!

One more thing, I was comparing the look of these (were posted on Audiogon awhile back) , and they look different than the pair I found, as you can see in the pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts