AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting for this in the theaters and now its up for pre-order on blu ray on Play.com in the UK - Out on 6-28-10. How do you like that, direct to video

·
Registered
695 Posts
For some reason, it was released in the U.K. and not in the states. However, there is a web site is showing that you can vote to demand it in your area, similar to the way Paranormal Activity was released. So hopefully it still has a chance for a theatrical release in the states.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd /forum/post/18434942

For some reason, it was released in the U.K. and not in the states. However, there is a web site is showing that you can vote to demand it in your area, similar to the way Paranormal Activity was released. So hopefully it still has a chance for a theatrical release in the states.

Thanks, I just did that - sent it to facebook too. My luck it will be region locked

·
Registered
10,471 Posts

Saw this on sale at BB this week (for $10), and was thinkin of givin it a try. Reviews seem a bit mixed though. Anyone else seen this yet, and have an opinion on it, AV or movie-wise?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We watched it on Netflix and it was great. Convincing character development with solid, realistic action (for the most part). As a bonus, no shaky cam. It's a bit predictable, but what isn't?

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU  /t/1240609/solomon-kane/0_60#post_23722314

Saw this on sale at BB this week (for $10), and was thinkin of givin it a try. Reviews seem a bit mixed though. Anyone else seen this yet, and have an opinion on it, AV or movie-wise?
The AV is very good.

However, it's just a rental IMO.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts

Tks for the replies folks. NF/renting isn't an option, so I think I'll give the BD a try, and report back with my findings. (It can't be any worse than some of the U. Boll films I've endured, right?)

The audience and top critics on Rotten Tomatoes are about evenly split. Blu-ray.com is pretty positive on both AV & movie though, fwtw.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It was OK. I can't help feeling a bit disappointed after so much talk.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I greatly appreciated the realistic combat scenes in stark contrast to today's crazy bloodless action. Like when he took more than one strike with his sword to cut off that dude's head or when the suction made it hard to pull the blade out. The swordplay had a real element of weight and danger to it that most movies just gloss over. Things like that go a long way in my book.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vld  /t/1240609/solomon-kane/0_60#post_18434942

I don't think Hollywood picked it up as a wide release here in the States for a couple of reasons. There are too many overtly Christian elements in it for the type of audience Hollywood goes after these days. The entirely British casting didn't help matters.

It's a really solid action-horror vehicle with some fantasy elements.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger  /t/1240609/solomon-kane#post_23736201

I don't think Hollywood picked it up as a wide release here in the States for a couple of reasons. There are too many overtly Christian elements in it for the type of audience Hollywood goes after these days. The entirely British casting didn't help matters.

It's a really solid action-horror vehicle with some fantasy elements.
U.S. distribution was Weinstein. Weinstein has a history up picking films going to video after delaying or cancelling theatrical releases. This has happened with Dimension titles especially. This would have been under the Dimension label and was it's release curse of death. The recession didn't help either.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger  /t/1240609/solomon-kane/0_60#post_23736201

Agreed.

It really does have a lot of VERY "overt Christian elements."

Frankly, I found it a bit distracting and unnecessary for a fantasy film like this.

I am not sure why the filmmaker went this direction...it doesn't help the movie.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1240609/solomon-kane#post_23739568

Agreed.

Frankly, I found it a bit distracting and unnecessary for a fantasy film like this.

I am not sure why the filmmaker went this direction...it doesn't help the movie.

It certainly doesn't along with the semi zombies.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1240609/solomon-kane#post_23739568

Agreed.

So let's banish history from all films and not refer to anything Christian.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews  /t/1240609/solomon-kane#post_23741083

A 17th century European, Puritan saga with overt Christian elements? What else on earth would it be about? LOL

Honestly, I was hoping for epic space battles with laser guns and flying vehicles. No wonder nobody wants to study history any more, it's so boring!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts