AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people and Merry Christmass

I have been reading during the past few days the threat of how to build a HTPC, but I have some questions that mainly relate to my current setup.

I have a Panasnic 42PV70E, a Denon ARV 2308 and my KEF sound system with REL sub. I will be feeding all these "monsters" with a HTPC, which I am planning to put together i.e. find the required pieces on my own. My questions is whether I will need a powerfull graphics and sound card provided that I have my AVR or shall I go wth the low end type card on a high end PC. So mainly my question is one of budget, in order to avoide spending money on components for wich I already have a hardware to do the job.

My main objectve with this HTPC is to

1. Listen to music

2. Watch moves

3. Once in a while play games, but this will be quite rare

The objectives are listed in order of importance

Thank you

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use my HTPC 99% of the time for hd movies and music. The main power horse in my HTPC is the MB. I have a small 40gb HD, 2 gig ram and thats about it. All of the media is streamed from a windows home server box. This way the HTPC is super quiet and has a small footprint.

You should look into just getting a solid motherboard that can handle your audio/video without having to buy separate components.

Check out the ASUS P5N7A-VM, thats what I use, it has the geforce 9300 that will handle just about any video you throw at without using the CPU too much. Also it had HDMI output that can carry pretty much any audio you want as well. Also it has an optical output. You can get this board for about $120 at newegg.

·
Registered
592 Posts
For music playback a HTPC really isn't an ideal solution from my experience. The biggest issue I had is needing to have the display on for audio playback.

The Squeezebox products have proven to be an ideal solution for high-quality audio playback. The device supports most if not all audio codec and has great support for hardware decoding of FLAC. The only thing lacking which no other product aside from a HTPC can offer is multi-channel LCPM but this audio content is pretty rare. The device can bitstream DTS and AC3 so multi-channel audio can still be played using a lossy codec.

The server side software is written in Perl with plenty of 3rd party add-ons. I really can't say enough good things about my Squeezebox. You should check the forums out on the website to get a better idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.