AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a HTPC for my parents. It needs to play BlueRay, and be simple to use.

Simple is the key.

I would like to only use a remote control to navigate everything. No mouse. No keyboard.

All they will be watching are DVDs, BlueRay, and other content (movies, tv shows) that I will be putting on their hard drive remotly.

What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Honestly, I'd suggest something like a Popcorn Hour and a BlueRay player combined with a Harmony remote (or another intelligent "activity" based remote). I understand you can put a drive in the PCH for playback. The Harmony would let them select what they want to do and then properly switch the components.

Otherwise, use Vista Media Center with a VMC remote. Use Video Browser and helper programs to sort out, store and display the series and movies. Set the computer to boot right into VMC. Keep the TV and movie rips as file types you can make VMC play natively (registry hack and/or codecs).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1094009

The only part I'm not sure about is how well one of the BD player programs works when integrated into VMC. I have no idea if the remote will work because I've never done it. There are others doing it though that can likely answer this.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts