Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

since the automatic graph system in Blight´s latest incarnation of Zoom player 3.0 did not work for the combination of windvd filters/ffdshow using PAL DVDs ( Zoom would crash immediately ) I was looking for a solution to this problem.

Using regmon I was able to find a registry setting that has to be set analog to the sonic cinemaster filters if PAL DVD´s are played.

This setting is

DXVAPAL=1

I have attached 2 regfiles for PAL/NTSC with this and the required Sonic entry. Of course analog to the sonic filters you have to change this setting to 0 again if you insert a NTSC DVD.

There is one problem left and thats the fact that the picture will freeze instantly if you change Zoom players window size or do anything else during DVD playback ( like opening a browser window ). This does not happen with the sonic/ffdshow combination and even though I tried every other Intervideo registry setting that regmon reported I could not find a solution.

Does anybody have an idea where to look for a solution for this problem ? Is it ffdshow or the windvd filters that need "tweaking" ?

Regarding VMR9 I can report that Vern and all the others who posted that Radeon 9500 cards and above are required for VMR9 to work are correct. I have no idea WHY VMR9 only works on the R300 chips and not on the Radeon 9000 for instance but I have tried both cards using the same software configuration and it works on one and not the other. Maybe someone will one day explain why. Blight maybe ?

In my opinion VMR9 on the Radeon 9500 will indeed boost picture quality a little bit at least using the Sonic decoders.

Have a nice day!

midiboy

palntsc.zip 0.6162109375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Well, it seems the WinDVD filters are not friendly enough to work with FFDShow. Frankly, I think that FFDShow should be patched to work with on-the-fly changing video formats (NTSC/PAL) as that would resolve these issues without any registry fixes.

FFDShow being open-sourced, anyone care to have a go at it?

As for why the Radeon 9000 and lower don't work with the VMR9, I'd say it may be ATI not wanting to waste developer resources implementing it as the hardware should be capable. But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Quote:
There is one problem left and thats the fact that the picture will freeze instantly if you change Zoom players window size or do anything else during DVD playback
Yes, this is my hang-up with WinDVD and ffdshow as well.

I have found that the best image quality with no visible red chroma issues comes from using WinDVD in SOFTWARE decode mode with ffdshow and the overlay mixer.

I have also found that using DirectSound, rather than waveout, on my Revo minimizes the image freezes that occur. Reclock, works even better on some DVD titles, but has issues with others.

I sure wish someone could address this issue and get it fixed, because I really believe that WinDVD in software decode mode gives me the highest level of detail from DVD, at least on my system.

Vern

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Vern:

You say you use software mode ? Do you have to turn this off then ?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ATI Technologies\\DirectX VA]

"DXVA"=dword:00000001

This is turned on by default by the ATI driver.

Or is this setting ignored during DVD playback anyway ?

Thanks,

midiboy

PS: I am all for patching ffdshow to fix this manual approach. :) Unfortunately I have no idea how to write programs ... yet ... :)

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
No, my reference to DXVA is controlled by entries in the Hkey_Local_Machine:Software:Intervideo:Common:VideoDec registry section.

Actually I only have 2 entries in that section, one for audio, and one other that I don't recall offhand.

Funny thing, using WinDVD itself will add additional entries to the registry, and my image quality is degraded until I delete the additional entries.

Vern

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Vern !

Quote:
Actually I only have 2 entries in that section, one for audio, and one other that I don't recall offhand.

Funny thing, using WinDVD itself will add additional entries to the registry, and my image quality is degraded until I delete the additional entries
Can you elaborate on this please ?

I have the following entries in those Intervideo/Common section. Can you please tell me what entries you delete/degrade quality and what entries you leave ?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\InterVideo\\Common]

"InstallRoot"="C:\\\\Programme\\\\InterVideo"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\InterVideo\\Common\\AudioDec]

"DsContinuousRate"=dword:00000000

"AUDIO"=dword:00000006

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\InterVideo\\Common\\VideoDec]

"VgaVendorID"=dword:00001002

"VgaDeviceID"=dword:00004164

"VgaQuery"=dword:00000000

"VgaDriverName"=""

"DsContinuousRate"=dword:00000000

"VMR"=dword:00000001

"DXVA"=dword:00000000

"HWMC"=dword:00000000

"CCDefaultBrightness"=dword:000002ee

"BOBWEAVE"=dword:00000003

"MULTIMONDXVA"=dword:00000000

"DXVAPAL"=dword:00000000

Also I have found out that the same settings exist in the [HKey_Current_user] key.

Do you delete them there as well ? Using regmon I found out that the windvd filters check in BOTH places on startup so if one wants to change anything it must/should be done in both places, right ?

Which brings me to a small update to my registry files. I found out that the DXVAPAL setting has to be changed in both the Current User and Local Machine keys to really make a difference. Sometimes the filters won´t work with the PAL/NTSC change otherwise.

My new regfiles reflect that change.

midiboy

palntsc2.zip 0.66015625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
midiboy,

Outstanding find.

I am now able to use WinDVD with ffdshow for PAL DVD’s. Ok it’s buggy, but it works. It just would not work at all before.

I agree with Vern. Quality of this decoder (WinDVD 4.5 Platinum) used with ffdshow (Resize-Sharpen) is the best I have seen for a software DVD decoder.

I can now uninstall Sonic and NVDVD the new king is here.

The only decoder I have seen to better it (and not by much) is Mainconcept Mpeg decoder.

It can’t play DVD’s only ripped Vob’s.

I never would have found this by myself as my registry had no DXVAPAL Dword. I had to add it.

This is strange as I have only ever played PAL DVD’s. It must be set on the fly by the WINDVD application and then removed when WINDVD is closed. :confused:

Thanks very much for this great find. You have made my day. :D

Quality keeps getting better all the time. Soon I will be able to step into the picture and walk around. :D

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi ,

Could you guys explain to me clearly what changes I need to make to the registry to get PAL/windvd/ffdshow working with zoom. I am a bit confused because sonic keeps getting mentioned and yet I would imagine I have to make the change under windvd in the registry. A step by step would be helpful. I already have the graph ready to go.

Thanks

Damien

Sydney

Australia

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Damian,

Click START>RUN type in REGEDIT click OK

Navigate to folder :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\InterVideo\\Common\\VideoDec

If the Dword DXVAPAL does not exist rightclick in right hand side of window and select NEW>DWORD value.

Rename "New Value #1" to DXVAPAL and click to save name.

Then right click on DXVAPAL and select MODIFY.

Change Value Data from 0 to 1

You may need to do all this again in folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\InterVideo\\Common\\VideoDec

Close REGEDIT and you are done.

You will find that you will need to start Zoom Player in full screen mode or change to full screen before the DVD starts to play or it will lock up.

Don’t change window size or do anything during play or the picture will freeze.

I can get it to go again by popping up the navigator bar and moving forward or back.

See how you go.

Have fun.

Regards,

Owen

PS Don’t forget to use ffdshow Resize-Croma ,Luma Sharpen and Gradual denoise if your system can handle it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would say that IVIVIDEO.ax 4.5.28.51 looked even better when compared to older ones. (e.g. 4.5.11.26)

It is okay if I attach IVIVIDEO.ax here? The file is from www.intervideo.co.jp and anyone can get it directly without any restrictions. That one is just an update for WinDVD Recorder.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Apart from the freezing, it seems that I can't use my ffdshow settings I used with Sonic. Using these settings with WinDVD will result in immense stutter. Could WinDVD be demanding more CPU power than Sonic ?

Nima

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Midiboy: Here is my registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\InterVideo\\Common\\VideoDec]

"BOBWEAVE"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\InterVideo\\Common\\AudioDec]

"AUDIO"=dword:00000006

Don't run the WinDVD player, or you will end up with a bunch of extra junk in the registry and a degraded image.

Vern

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Actually IVIVIDEO.ax is pretty large and it will still exceed the 512K limit after compression. Cannot really attach it unless I split it into two parts.

So far I have only watched some R2J NTSC video-sourced DVDs. Most of them are pretty much SuperBit in terms of their > 9Mbps bitrate. I did not really like 4.5.11.26 and then I grabbed the new version. Overall the color would be somewhat more satisfying than before. I have been testing new Radeon drivers all the time and that may also affect the video quality. Right now I am using this one (6320) and Catalyst 3.2 (6307) is not as new.

http://images.lunarpages.com/ATI.jpg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny,

it did nothing on my machine. Neither in Overlay nor in VMR9 mode. :( Also I do not see that many changes in PQ with the new version ...

and since VMR9 has still a few problems ( tearing, no mouse menu navigation etc. ) I have reverted to my quiet Radeon 9000. :D

At least for the time being.

midiboy

PS: I am not really sure yet but PQ of the Sonic decoders is not really bad either and they do not freeze with ffdshow. It´s just that they are total crap with videofiles like vobs/mpgs etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.