AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on speakers and volume controls for 8 rooms in my house for whole-house music. Before I do, I was hoping the AVS community would alert me to any mistakes I might be making or provide any other feedback, unfortunately I do not know much about matching the impedance:

Budget volume controls for each room: Hubbell Netselect In-wall rotary volume controls - 75W RMS, Impedance matching design allows of up to 16 pairs of 8ohm speakers to be connected to a single stereo amplifier, and appear as a 4ohm load. Specifications: •Frequency response: 35Hz~20KHz •Attenuation: -34~0dB, in 12 steps •Impedance matching (applicable models only): x2, x4 and x 8ohm.

Speakers: Monoprice 6-1/2 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers - 60W Nominal, 120W Max. (should I spend the extra $110 and get the 8" 80W Nominal, 160W Max?). Impedance: 8 Ohms

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663 (output: 95 Watt @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz)

I am not sure if this going to create an issue with the different ohm ratings on the speakers, volume control and receiver. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No feedback? I did the research (mostly here on AVSF), just wanting to be sure there are no holes in this budget solution. Not very sophisticated, but will it work OK?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
How is the yamaha going to work 8 zones and what is your budget.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm not going to have 8 zones, just run it in parallel (two zones) which I thought you could do with Impedance matching volume controls. Am I mistaken?

My budget is to spend as little as possible. In this down economy, my income is not what it was and I have little to spare.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great article, thank you Eskay! Very useful. There is a great article also from that page HERE that talks about whether one amplifier is enough.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Things are going well on my project. I got a deal on some Polk Audio RC80i's for the ceiling in the living room, they sounds great. I am working on the Monoprice for the rest of the house (had one extra pair of Polk's I installed in one bedroom last week with a volume control, working well). I have Monoprice Banana Plugs which are very easy to use.

One thing I forgot was something to distribute the audio over the 8 rooms in terms of connecting all the wires. I was thinking about THIS which is about $35 shipped. Any other better ideas for a distribution hub?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it all works, but y'all were right in that it doesn't output much volume to the speakers. I am going to have to figure something out for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts