AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got a new kitten and whike he has been growing up here we have started to redo our tv area. He runs around like crazy when he gets all riled up and sticks onto anything he dig his claws into, including the flesh of legs, the dogs back, you name it. Well at first didnt think anything of the speakers but he likes to jump from furmiture to furniture. He one day found the grills of my Energy C-9's and stuck to em like glue.

Ever since then we have been less of friends and we try everything to get him to not cling to the leather on the couch. I tried the foil but he loves it amd plays with it. We spray him with water and it momentarily deters him but when I'm home there is nothing I can do.

Tired of this place looking like a teenage frat house. I want to impress with sound not looks.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Most cats hate the feel of tape. I've used packing tape to deter cats from clawing the couch. Maybe put some tape on the grills for a few days and hopefully the cat will learn to avoid them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
With scratching, part of it is they leave their scent on the scratched object through the glands in their paws, which encourages them to return and scratch more.

Some solutions we've found are:

- Use cat repellant spray; they dislike the smell and the smell it leaves on their paws

- Buy a used (yes used) scratching post from a second hand store. Smelling another cat makes this their absolute favourite thing to scratch in the entire house, and they have no interest really left in scratching speakers.

These two tips have done pretty well for me - never lost a grille to a cat yet!

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Wall mount the speakers, put them upside down so that the tweeters remain at head height.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Another option is to close the door to the room in which the sound system is located, with the cat on the other side.  If there is no door, install one.

You really do want a cat scratching post, as it will certainly scratch something, so you absolutely have to have something that it is okay for the cat to scratch.  Also, cats like catnip, so you can rub the scratching post with it, and maybe keep some inside of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has a scratching post which he loves. Since we put the foil down yesterday, he has tore it all up. He seems much more interested in the foil than the grill! Fine by me! Thanks for all the help, if this doesn't work I'll go buy some double sided tape and line the outsides of the grill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Double sided tape is a great deterrent. You can also by electric shock mats. Expensive but very effective. Also funny as hell the first (and only) time our cats touched it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts