AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the VGA to VGA cable. I had bought one of the shielded Tec-Nec broadcast quality cables from Markertek. I tested it out with the projector before I put in all of the rest of the wiring it seemed fine.

Well I switched it with my VGA to 5BNC and suddenly the problem was gone. So I am concluding that it is the cable. I wish I had another long run VGA cable already installed, but I don't. One nice thing though is that I installed a 2" PVC pipe to the equipment closet so I can run a couple of new cables through that.

It looks like bettercables will have a new customer.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was recently converted to the group of believers in good quality cables - at least for video.

Got a used projector - compaq mp1600 - recently. Since it only has vga in, I connected my htpc and sent it a 1024x768 signal using the included cable and a 10 foot extension cable.

I had used this same extension cable between my 480p Toshiba 5109 progressive dvd player and my nec vt540.

Anyway, I hooked it up to the mp1600 and thought I had a defective projector. There was a ghost outline 3 pixels to the right on every icon on my windows desktop. An hour later, after dinner, it occurred to me the problem might be the cable. I moved the htpc closer to the mp1600, and removed the extension cable. Problem solved.

Now I wonder if my occasional image problems with the toshiba/vt540 were due to the cable. I will be buying a better cable soon, but waiting till I hang my pj so I know how long of a cable to buy.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I need to make some critical measurements myself. I am hoping that I will be able to get one of their stock cable lengths.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
599 Posts
cclay - what sort of signal were you sending down the cable?

I ask because I had little/none/only intermittent problems with 480p, but 1024x768 looked awful. The higher bandwidth signal *would* be more susceptible to crosstalk/interference/degradation.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cameron,

I have that same cable and have never seen what you were describing on your other post. In fact, I did a mini shootout between Mtek and the Bcable a few months ago. I saw very little difference between the two cables. Both were about 50 ft. long.

Maybe your cable is defective. How old is it? Perhaps Mtek will warranty it?

Chris

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Rick,

I actually have the vga to 5 bnc from Mtek. It's a Compucable brand, not Tec Nec, so maybe it's not what Cameron has after all.

My little shootout between the two cables is here.

Chris

[This message has been edited by CCLAY (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My offending cable is the Tec-Nec VGA to VGA (not the breakout) cable. My other cable that doesn't exhibit the problem is a VGA to 5BNC from Markertek (maybe the same one that you have)

Cameron

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.