AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to buy a Pioneer 640H, but the lack of a DV In port, coupled with my need to convert numerous miniDV tapes to DVD and not wanting to use the PC, and not easily being able to find a miniDV camcorder with an S-video jack, has caused me to tentatively decide to get the Panasonic EH55.

I have read that the EH55 stops DV recording when there is a blank spot or gap in the tape. Is there any way to get the EH55 to continue recording without stopping?

I really don't want to have to babysit the DVD Recorder as I convert over 40 miniDV tapes to DVD. Would really appreciate anyone's insight.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opieandy /forum/post/0

I have read that the EH55 stops DV recording when there is a blank spot or gap in the tape.

Chris

While that may be true for a DV AutoRecord, I think if you do a manual dv record, starting your EH55 and camcorder manually, it will record up to 6 or 8 hours or until you stop it, whichever occurs first.

I don't have the EH55 here, and it will be Tuesday before I get over to check the manual. Going the manual Record route, you'll forego the automatically generated chapter points, but I'm sure you'll get the tape recorded.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few questions about DVD recording and copying:

I like Panasonic products...they seem the best quality lately...and I have to have some criteria for limiting my search.

The Panasonic DMREH55S is available on Amazon for about $400 (200gb hard drive)

Also available is the EH75 (80 GB hard drive) for about the same price but it has a built in VCR.

I want to convert many of my old VHS tapes to DVD (as you did for me last year). Can I do it easily with the eh55 by plugging my old VCR into the eh55? or would you suggest getting the eh75?

Any suggestions as to the best place to purchase one of these (after I decide which is better for my needs)?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT /forum/post/0

While that may be true for a DV AutoRecord, I think if you do a manual dv record, starting your EH55 and camcorder manually, it will record up to 6 or 8 hours or until you stop it, whichever occurs first.

I don't have the EH55 here, and it will be Tuesday before I get over to check the manual. Going the manual Record route, you'll forego the automatically generated chapter points, but I'm sure you'll get the tape recorded.

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Will you come over to help me if it doesn't work?

Seriously, that clarifies things. I didn't realize there were two record modes. Maybe AutoRecord gets confused at small gaps in the tape? I am happy to forego chapter stops. I just want to get the bloody videos on DVD in their entirety!

Chris

·
Registered
929 Posts
The auto-record is a "DV Camcorder Record" message that pops up on the monitor screen if the EH55 senses a DV signal when powered on. We are feeding the signal from a DataVideo video mixer which the EH55 correctly identifies but argues with us when we try to record. One of the options on the screen is Cancel. So we merely Cancel and are in manual mode for the rest of the session, until we Power Off. When we are ready to start recording, hit Record on the remote.

Feel free to come back with questions. Some (most?) of the options may be buried two or three menus deep, so at first it may appear intimidating. Don't be afraid to explore and experiment.

I use, and recommend, Playlists for any non-trivial editting. Playlist are simply pointers to chapters in the title so take little room, and changes to the Playlist do not affect the title on the hdd. Deletions of chapters on the hdd are non-recoverable. So Playlists are safer and kinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.