AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the low LFE issues have been discussed quite a bit in different threads. I just thought it may be helpful to have its own thread so it's easier for those of us who have the problem to follow and hopefully find a solution.

If you have experienced the low LFE problem, please let us know:

1. Type of player

2. Type of AVR or pre/pro.

3. Type of connection (HDMI. optical, analog)

4. Audio settings in the player and the AVR/PreAmp.

5. Was the problem solved and how?

Thank you,

Bimmerguy

·
Registered
905 Posts
1. HDA1 firmware 2.0

2. HK335

3. Analog to the HK's 6ch input, although I have bitstream via optical connected as well.

4. I have the LFE channel on the HK set at +9 (maximum). In the HDA1, I have duplicated the same speaker distances and xover point that I have set in the HK335 for all inputs other than the 6ch direct. To compensate fully for the -10db lfe issue, I've trimmed all speakers but the lfe by 1db. I have both the optical and hdmi audio outs of the HDA1 set to pcm.

5. The issue has been dealt with and I'm extremely satisfied with the sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1. HDA1 Firmware 2.0

2. Yamaha HTR-5740 HTIB. replaced yamaha sub with 10" JBL sub.

3. Analog 5.1. HDA1 speakers set to small, crossover 80hz. Reciever Fronts set to large with bass out set to both, remaining speakers set to small, levels on all speakers set to zero except center set to +2 and Sub set to +10. Sub volume level turned up just past half way. anymore than that is to much rattle for my wife and kids

5. Problem solved! dd+ and THD sound amazing with above settings.

Spent about 3 months very dissapointed in the low bass out until I discovered i could control levels through mutichannel. even called yamaha direct and even they told me I needed a receiver with hdmi to do this. Found this out on my own just playing with all the buttons on the remote. note: don't adjust levels through the test tone section. when the speaker is flashing and the little bar moved from left to right, i turned sub all the way up and just got a high ptiched distorion out of it. from multichannel display, press the level button where you can see a dcb number. then adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian /forum/post/0

1. HDA1 Firmware 2.0

3. Analog 5.1. HDA1 speakers set to small, crossover 80hz. Reciever Fronts set to large with bass out set to both, remaining speakers set to small, levels on all speakers set to zero except center set to +2 and Sub set to +10. Sub volume level turned up just past half way. anymore than that is to much rattle for my wife and kids

Spent about 3 months very dissapointed in the low bass out until I discovered i could control levels through mutichannel. even called yamaha direct and even they told me I needed a receiver with hdmi to do this. Found this out on my own just playing with all the buttons on the remote. note: don't adjust levels through the test tone section. when the speaker is flashing and the little bar moved from left to right, i turned sub all the way up and just got a high ptiched distorion out of it. from multichannel display, press the level button where you can see a dcb number. then adjust accordingly.

i had almost the exact same experience except with a yamaha htr5960 receiver.

the receiver has a separate set of speaker level settings for digital vs. multichannel. but, the manual doesn't really say much about it.

now that this is sorted out, i am very happy wth the electronics and have moved on to collecting bits to have a killer speaker setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. HD-A1 firmware 2.0

2. Sony STR-DA5200ES

3. HDMI

4.HD-A1:

Speakers set to Large, 0.00Ft

Subwoofer: Use, 0.00Ft, 120Hz

Levels: Subwoofer 0dB, the rest -10dB

The actual Bass Management is done in the receiver

with all speakers set to Small.

5.Yes, the problem solved by using the Bass Management in the HD-A1

Rick Moll

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian /forum/post/0

1. HDA1 Firmware 2.0

I have the A1 2.0 firm. B&K AVR using the 5.1 analogs. I have mine setup the same as ^^ with plenty of bass. If I decide to listen via coax I have to go and screw with the bass to get it to a level of not rattling the dishes onto the kitchen floor

·
Registered
165 Posts
speeeedy,

Are you sure you don't have seperate level setting for mutichannel and digital. As oliverjg pointed out, yamaha recievers have this. might wanna check in to that. after some tweeking i don't touch anything and i still use digital on SDVD to get my 6.1dts or dd ex.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
1. A2

2. Pioneer Elite VSX82

3. HDMI

4. Speakers set to small on receiver and crossover set to 80.

5. No real solution other than increase the sub channel regardless of what people say it does. Hopefully there is a better solution.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I probably should check. But after listening to the difference between the digital outs and the analog outs I don't think I will be switching back to the digital anytime soon. The analog outs on the tosh are far superior to my ears. Thanks for putting that out there though I will look into tomorrow ( I have tomorrow off to stay at home and enjoy my new Cambridge 840c )

·
Registered
569 Posts
No such problems here on my E1 ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
1. HD-A1 Ver 2.0 now was on 1.4

2. Onkyo Integra 803

3. 5.1 analog

4. Setting are all correct. All was working perfect on version 1.4 once I went to 2.0 I have no output to the sub and LFE is going to the center speaker. Downgraded to 1.4 and back uptp 2.0 worked again fine. 2 days later back to the same problem. Confirmed all setting in both DVD and Onkyo.

5. At Toshiba now for repair

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 /forum/post/0

I understand the low LFE issues have been discussed quite a bit in different threads. I just thought it may be helpful to have its own thread so it's easier for those of us who have the problem to follow and hopefully find a solution.

Bimmerguy
GET THEM THE HECK OUT OF YOUR FORUM!

...Ehh, sorry. I thought you meant "LOW LIFE PROBLEM"...Thought you had problems with "low Lifes".

·
Registered
4,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber /forum/post/0

1. A2

2. Pioneer Elite VSX82

3. HDMI

4. Speakers set to small on receiver and crossover set to 80.

5. No real solution other than increase the sub channel regardless of what people say it does. Hopefully there is a better solution.

My solution was to return the Pioneer VSX82 and replace it with a Denon 2807. I loved the Pioneer but the low LFE problem was a deal killer imo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D /forum/post/0

My solution was to return the Pioneer VSX82 and replace it with a Denon 2807. I loved the Pioneer but the low LFE problem was a deal killer imo.

How is the Denon 2807 working out for you? Did you have to make all kinds of adjustments to make it work?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone any experience of setting the A1 up with a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS amp?

I have something set that is reasonable, but still too boomy for the digital in. On the analog ins I think I have convinced myself that its good - but not 100% sure that all the bass is there. I'll play some more!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.