AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about a year I've been running the same home built HTPC thru an AA VGA to Component to my Panny PTWXF95 @ 720p for DvD playback. About 70% of all DvD's (old titles, new titles, rentals) would produce at least two or three and sometimes multiple stutters during slow pans and layer changes in movie playback.

Parts that have not changed:

WinXP Pro (23 apps & Svcs running)

P3 800MHz

320 MB Ram

Asus V7100 -Nvidia GF2MX 32M

SoundBlaster Live!Value

So, for the heck of it I decide to upgrade from Toshiba 6x DvD Rom to an LG/Hitachi 16x DvD Rom, and from PowerDvD 2.55 to PowerDvD XP 4.0. And guess what... NO MORE STUTTERS! So far I've tried 2 rentals, one older title, and the ultimate test was The Matrix (chapter 20 layer change and chapter 21/22 scene with the oracle was always the worst).

Don't ask me which upgrade did the trick cause I did them simultaneously.

Happy

Hammer

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yep I had a similar experience with a Pioneer drive that caused small stutters, However....

For the terminally anal (and thats me I wish it wasn't I would probably enjoy this hobby more and spend less) there is / was another smaller 'micro stutter' that was still persistent for me with WinDVD and PDVD... I have found that this has decreased to the point of near imperceptability with TT and then just to make myself cry was at the cinema and noticed the stutter in 24 fps film !!!

I wish I was staying here another couple of days longer as a major cineplex in Bangkok just bought a digital unit for the latest Lucus money spinner (the only other D-Cinema in asia is in Japan) but I leave the day before the premier !!! I dont belive there are any D-Cinema units in Europe near me as I am really itching to see an all digital shot / edited / processed / ditribitued / projected movie especially one not made purely in CG...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
My move up to TT and XP Pro has helped a lot with my stuttering as well. Its still not perfect, but much better. I'm on a 1Ghz PIII based system, Audiophile 24/96 and Radeon 32MB DDR. I don't even remember what the DVD drive is, since I've got a few and had been swapping them around. Its running at DMA mode 2.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
After seeing Spiderman in the theater recently I noticed stuttering pans inherent in the film itself....which is probably made worse once the transfer to video is made.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stuttering is the bain of my life. I have tried everything, changed every component in the PC, tried TT WinDVD 3 PowerDVD XP and even tried a different LCD projector and still I get stuttering using the VGA input that I do not get using the Svideo input.

It just breaks my heart:(

Conor

·
Registered
51 Posts
If the stutter you're noticing is during a pan, and you notice it at the theater, it is an inherent artifact caused by the Panavision lens. pans need to be slow and steady, and if the pan occurs to quickly, it appears to 'stutter', or shudder visually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.