AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got an external amp off FB marketplace, was running well when I tested it. Today I hooked it up with the AVR for Zone 2 Pre-Out, the volume knob of the amp is set as 50%, Zone 2 volume level is set as "Variable". Auto/Normal switch is set to Normal on the Amp

I am playing Spotify/TuneIn in Zone II via HEOS

I am facing these two issues

1) the volume is erratic - on HEOS app if the sound drops below 50, there is no sound from the speaker, when I increase above 50 it is playing, but that sound level is a little higher than moderate - there is no variable sound between "No Sound" to the "minimum" volume level I am hearing. I am using volume slider as well as phone buttons for volume control but same case with both, either no sound or the minimum volume that I get is a little higher than I would wish.

2) Sound is clipping intermittently, randomly at times and then sometimes there is no sound unless I crank the volume up.

I have not had any experiences with External Amps so wanted to check if I am doing anything wrong.

EDIT : Solved - after searching some more I found this thread on AVS - AudioSource AMP100VS help while it refers to AMP100VS, I have the older model called AMP100 - I figured that I had hooked it up to incorrect Line IN (LINE IN 1 - which is INTERRUPT instead of LINE IN 2 which is MAIN) - thanks for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clipping? How powerful is the amp, and what are the speakers rated for?
Amp : 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms (10-30,000 Hz) at 0.2% THD with 2 channels driven
Polk S55 - 8 Ohms, 90 db, 20-200 W

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
If the amp is turned on, rather than set to automatically turn on with an input signal, it appears that you may have a hardware problem.

You could test the amp by connecting it to a different set of pre-outs. I believe that all of the preouts of the defined speaker channels are active all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the amp is turned on, rather than set to automatically turn on with an input signal, it appears that you may have a hardware problem.
I had tested it before buying, and there was no issue - I will try different inputs (other than Spotify/TuneIn)

You could test the amp by connecting it to a different set of pre-outs. I believe that all of the preouts of the defined speaker channels are active all the time.
Wil try this too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts