AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchased a Panasonic AR-100U and entry-level Elite screen as a part of a living room set-up that replaces our television.

We love the projector set-up but it's feeling like we can improve upon the screen. At minimum, I'd like to go to something tensioned and electric. I'm also intrigued by trying to reduce ambient light on the screen. We generally only watch at night, but light leakage is still a big problem -- light coming in from the street, leaking from the hall of our apartment, etc.

We don't want a fixed screen and I am not ready to move into the $2k+ required for a Black Diamond.

I am wondering if even if we can't get a true ambient-light-rejecting screen, we could at least get something that is moderately better at this than other options.

Our PT AR-100U throws 16' to a 120" diagonal. Pretty much all the seating is directly in front of the screen or with in 30-45 degrees of center. I don't think we want for contrast or lumens b/c the projector is a light cannon.

Any suggestions? Let's assume I would be able to spend around $1k-$1500 for a new screen that was a significant improvement.

Should we be looking at white mattes, or something like CineGrey? Does it even matter when it comes to ambient light?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Almost all affordable ALR screens are fixed frame. Stewart and SI sell ALR electric tensioned screens, but they cost a small fortune.
If ambient light is a problem during the day or even at night, you should probably take a different approach to your problem other than looking for a new screen. Look into what steps you can take to darken your room when you watch.

What color are your walls? If your walls and ceiling are light colored, can you maybe repaint the room in darker colors? (It doesn't have to be black. You can find plenty of darker colors that will make your room look nice while cutting down on the light reflections from the walls.)

Do you have blinds or drapes that can block outside light?

If light is leaking in from under the door from the hallway, can you install a door sweep? Or a door draft blocker?

How are your floors? Are they shiny? If they reflect light, you can break up the reflections with dark carpet.

Can you darken the immediate area around the screen?

All of these steps I'm suggesting are much cheaper solutions than spending money on a very expensive ALR tensioned screen.

If you've taken all these steps and you still feel your setup can be better, you can also look into higher gain screens that wont break the bank.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ben38.

The walls and ceiling are white and the floor is hardwood (white oak) with no carpet.

I might be able to argue for window shades, but the 95% of the time that we are not watch the screen, the room is exactly as it should be -- bright, airy. My wife will veto any backward steps on that front (or on installing a fixed screen). Sounds like I our interests may have no intersection (other than a ludicrously expensive light-rejecting screen).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Buy a relatively cheap tensioned screen like the Elite Starling 120 for about $650 shipped and visit the DIY section and consider painting it with Silver Fire 2.0 or similar paint.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Buy a relatively cheap tensioned screen like the Elite Starling 120 for about $650 shipped and visit the DIY section and consider painting it with Silver Fire 2.0 or similar paint.
Can it be rolled up/retracted after painting?

I think that was his point. So it can be hidden when not in use so the wife wouldn't mind it so much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can it be rolled up/retracted after painting?

I think that was his point. So it can be hidden when not in use so the wife wouldn't mind it so much.
If one paints it and allows adequate drying time, say 10-14 days, there is no problem with screen retraction. Has been documented many times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts