Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I should be getting my 1031 in a few days, and the suspense is killing me. Anyways, I've been thinking, and going over some of the threads on the projector that I read a while ago, and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I remember some talk of 4 pole astig magnets helping out with the focus. s there any way I could get these for reasonably cheap without having a higher end parts projector lying around?

Secondly, DaGamePimp pimp mentoned "his projectors' 39 Khz limit" in the final post in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=1031

Was this just a typo, or is this a result of his testing of his projector, or maybe a mod?

Thirdly, does anyone know what exactly blows when the projector is fed more scan rate than spec? I'm asking this, because I was thinking that perhaps we could maybe refit the projectors with something a lttle more robust and increase this.... any ideas? Also, I know that when overclocking compters, heat plays a part in determineing the life expectancy of the over specced part, as well as the extent to which you are playing with the settings. Could this be applyed to to this? Maybe some heatsinks in appropriate heat zones? Also, is there a cpu that centrally processes these sgnals that is running out of spec when you push the projector further than you should be?

Fourthly, is there a mod that we could apply to the light output controls that could maybe throw some more voltage to the tubes, and increase the light output by 10 or 20 percent? I know this would shorten the tube life, but with how much these projectors are going for, a couple hundred bucks to replace the tubes in 2 years vs 3 years (obviously depends on the usage) is hardly much difference.... havn't seen one of thse n action, so maybe this part is moot point, and they are okay for light output with some ambient, but it was just a thought.

Fithly, could anyone please tell me the equation to calculate scan rate?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. This forum s the reason I decided to get one of these :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The 4 pole astig magnets mod was Tinman's doing. I think he had some NEC that he took the parts from. That's as much as I know about it. It's not something you are going to want to try unless you are pretty experienced with tinkering with projectors.

Jason has been on the leading edge of pushing the 1031Q past its specifications. He has run it to 720p @ 48Hz. He strongly discourges pushing the 1031Q past spec. I can vouch for that as I have toasted my projector. It knocks out several of the large, button-sized transistors on the perimeter of the chassis. According to Eric Lang of PSI (who repaired my set) it also messed up my Bb board. I think it would have worked just with replacing the transistors. That's not to say that other components aren't at risk of being damaged when driving past spec.

Jason has also said that 720p is pretty soft anyway. 480p is pretty nice with the 1031Q. He says that 500p is the sweet spot of the 1031Q. As far as DVDs are concerned, the scan ability of the 1031Q is plenty. Keep in mind that the tubes only have 5.5" phosphors so much higher scan would yield diminishing returns, especially since the 1031Q wasn't designed to scan really high. RGB bandwidth also figures in and I wouldn't think there is an easy way to increase that, anagolous to trying to increasing memory bandwidth of a computer with a soldering iron. :D

Heat does play a role. However, there are many heatsinks in the 1031Q. The metal chassis acts as a heatsink as well. I have also heard that because the 1031Q's tubes are pretty small, heat is much less of an issue. Keep in mind that CRT projectors are commercial strength and can take a little abuse. Some people run the 1031Q with the fans disabled. The 722Q and 1020Q, predecessors of the 1031Q, are completely convection cooled.

As for the light output, any CRT projector can be driven a bit harder then it was intended to be run at. Just boost the contrast a bit for your 10% to 20% light increase. You can also play with the G2 controls to increase light output, though you should be careful as too much juice can damage the tubes. Go with complete light control, black walls (I just outfitted my place with black walls), and prehaps a slightly higher gain screen -- maybe 1.3. Or go all out like Xanatos and get an 18 gain curved screen. :cool: If you get an HTPC then you can get an MP-1 modded video card which will yield a sharper picture at higher contrast (as opposed to blooming at higher contrast).

I don't know the equation for scanrate, though I know it's somewhere in here. Did you try a search?

Welcome to the club! You are going to love the 1031Q! That little beast can really throw a great picture!

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
mcpherv ,

-- not a typo but they don't all go that high and it was a very stupid thing for me to do [ but I can't help it , I am an admitted Tweaker ;) ] .

---- Jason

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If you want to boost light output, keep an eye out for Sony 07MS tubes. They are a bit brighter than the SD-187's, and can probably give you 50 - 75 more lumens based upon the differences between the E-Home 41xx/31xx and the 45xx/35xx series.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
I think the 07MS's have a tighter beam spot size as well , so maybe even better focus .

-- Does anybody have 07MS's with HD-144's in a 1031Q , I would love to see that :) !!!

--- Jason

________

** Ursa , great sig - LOL **

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm half way there, I invested in 144s.... Anyways, thanks for the responses guys. I'll definately keep a look out for those 07ms tubes. Unfortunately, though, I don't have a dedicated HT, so I'm having to use my apartment living room as a substitute. Thats why I was wondering about the light output increase. The reason I was asking all of those other questions is that I was thinking about HDTV in the future. Does 720p at 48hz (even though I know that the image is a little softer- maybe those other tubes would help... something to think about I guess) come in under the 36 Khz limit? I searched for the scan rate formula but came up empty... DaGamePimp, or anyone else, any input? Again, thanks for the responses.

BTW, just about an hour after I typed that first messgae, my 1031 arrived!!! It survived being fedexed, (at least it looks fine, I havn't hooked it up yet, because my cpu for my HTPC is still in transit) so chalk another one up for them. The only thing is that the blue tube is fairly worn (others absolutley gorgeous, though).... I'm gonna try to even it out like I saw in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2 and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.