AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I feel like the 16 foot supplied cord isn't long enough to do what needs to be done other than stacking? That would look ridiculous.

This is the layout of the room. I used Paradigm ceilings ... they really worked out well. Not big power house speakers but they really sound good.

I have the ceilings shown in the layout as circles. There are four of them.

The diagram gives you an idea of the area I'm working with. Previously I had one SVS PB13 Ultra in the right far corner with the driver facing out on an angle, directly at the listener

So now I replaced the SVS with the Seaton setup. My question is since these subs have opposing drivers, it's confusing to me what an optimum placement would be.

And with the 16 foot cord, this seems to be my only option.

Ya think I should get a longer cord and play with other positions? I know the cord won't be cheap.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Pro Power Plus 11-4 is the wire. Don't know why it's 4 conductor.

Mark Seaton sends customers here... http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Speakers/Speaker-Cables/TecNec/NSP4-3.xhtml  

20 footer is $63 and it's a lighter guage... 12 as opposed to 11.

The guy I bought these subs from must have went his own route with the current 11/4 16 footer I got with them.

Maybe I can have an extension made or buy new and sell the 16 footer.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1521423/some-advice-from-you-pros-about-my-submersive-slave-placement#post_24451262

I would angle the sub to have one driver firing into the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1521423/some-advice-from-you-pros-about-my-submersive-slave-placement#post_24451262

I would angle the sub to have one driver firing into the wall.
I'm no expert, but I think bass is pretty omnidirectional, so the loading in that corner shouldn't much matter. Only thing I notice when I turn mine in the corner is the direct slam against the wall goes away from the immediate wavefront being shoved right into the wall causing it to vibrate. Acoustically, though, it didn't seem to measure statistically different...I suppose YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk  /t/1521423/some-advice-from-you-pros-about-my-submersive-slave-placement#post_24451352

Mark Seaton sends customers here... http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Speakers/Speaker-Cables/TecNec/NSP4-3.xhtml  

The guy I bought these subs from must have went his own route with the current 11/4 16 footer I got with them.
Get yourself a cable long enough to move it all around the room, you can always wind it up near the other sub to take up the slack. At least that gives you the most placement options.... I moved both mine quite a bit, measuring every step, before settling on the best aesthetics:sound combination.

I can't remember if you said you had Omnimic or REW..... If not, I have Omnimic and maybe I can help do a listening + tweaking session with you if you're interested....?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I found that putting my Epik Legend with dual opposing drivers worked better angled in the corner. One driver will be loaded and the sub should be a little more efficent. Bass is ominidirectional but, sub location in the room will influence the spl and quality of the bass in the room. Sealed sub benefit from being in corners due to the lower spl around 20-25 Hz compared to a vented sub. Also, if one is using autoclibration with sub EQ, I recommend corner placement as a first location to try.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk  /t/1521423/some-advice-from-you-pros-about-my-submersive-slave-placement#post_24451352

Hi mhrischuk,

No connecting cable is included with a SubMersive slave unit, just as most don't include a subwoofer cable, as different rooms require different lengths. The original owner purchased the 16' cable you have from us. I haven't posted it, but we stock the heavier 4 x #11 cable and use the nicer SPX series (NL4FX vs. NL4FC) and terminate and test them to order. Pricing is simple $/ft + test/termination and end up slightly more than what Markertek charges for the smaller, less flexible and older style connectors which they make in house.

The SpeakON connector insures the second unit is wired correctly (assuming the cable has been wired correctly). By using all 4 connections in the SpeakON connector we get 1/2 the loss of power vs using only 2 wires of the same size, and this is a commonly available pro audio speaker cable. With the 4x11 wire I prefer to keep the runs less than 50', but there is no specific cut-off. Note that doubling up wire is akin to dropping 3 wire gauge sizes, so 4x #11 is similar to 2 x #8 wire. For less than 20', even common 4 x #13 wire is OK. If you want a longer version of the same cable, shoot us an e-mail and we can work something out.

From a placement in the room and interaction standpoint, you can imagine each SubMersive to have a single driver centered between the two drivers. You only need to maintain 3" in of clear space from a wall or boundary in front of each driver or grill to allow proper operation. You can tuck them tight/square to the corner just fine with 3+" of space in front of the woofer.

Reactions: mhrischuk

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The whole ball of wax in a nutshell

Thanks Mark!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts