AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry if this is in the wrong section. If it is, mod/admin please move.

Im looking into either making or buying a system for my house and im a little confused as to what set up should I go for as im new to all of this kind of thing. Basically, I want a place to store all of my downloaded movies and tv and to view them on my 40 HDTV. I also want the system to be able to stream the movies, tv, music etc to other laptops around the house and to be able to watch and record free sat HD channels.

I have read many different posts on here and on other forums, but none of them seem to combine all that I want.so what system would be best for what I want? A NAS, HTPC or a Media Server or something ells?

My requirements :-

It must be quiet. As the system box will be in my living room or under the TV.

It must use relatively little power when it's not streaming media. This device will be running 24/7 and so running costs cannot be ignored.

It must not generate a lot of heat.

It must be flexible enough to do pretty much what I want with it.

I want to be able to record TV programmes with it. I then want to be able to stream these programmes around the house. I have a few laptops and a PS3, iphone and ipods too, so it must be able to support these.

It must be able to run torrent downloads. I want this build to automatically download my favourite TV shows and make these shows available to stream and play on my PS3, iphone or ipod.

It must be powerful enough to support multiple, simultaneous, High-Definition video streams. Not only that, but it must be able to do this whilst doing other things too, such as backing up my desktop or laptop computers or re-encoding video files.

It must be headless. BUT I need a GUI interface.

It must be stable. I don't want to be tinkering with it every 5 minutes. Nor do I want to be rebooting it every couple of days.

I don't want to have to buy an operating system for it. Nor do I want to be worried about the latest and greatest virus infecting it.

The unit must be able to throttle down when idle. By this I mean the drives must spin down when they're not being used. This will save power and ease cooling.

It mustn't cost the earth to buy.

It must be easy to use. So that the wife and daughter (with very little computer knowledge) can use it easily enough. And it must have its own IR remote control. For easier control.

Must be able to upgrade the system components (ie HDD) at some point in time.

The system must be secure. So that no one (other than who I will allow) can access the media. The files and folders must be read only. So that only I can add, modify, move or delete any files.

To be able to watch one channel and to record one or more other channels. and as we have no satellite or cable subscriptions, the system must be able to view and record free sat HD channels.

The system is to have a blue ray drive. For watching movies and for ripping.

The system must be able to run a 5.1 surround sound speakers. If this is not possible, then the system must be able to connect to a surround sound system or AV receiver.

I know I've already mentioned it, but it worth mentioning it again, the system must cost next to nothing. I am on a tight budget.

Im sure there are more things that I could add to the list of requirements, bit I cant think of them at this point.

So what would you all think would be best for me?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgit9 /forum/post/20848678

So what would you all think would be best for me?

Waiting a few years for the industry to catch up with your needs.

What you want simply doesn't exist. A well planned and executed HTPC comes close. If it's gotta be now, then that's the route to take. See the HTPC section here on AVS. Great guys doing groundbreaking work daily.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The answer to your need is a system comprised of many elements:

1. Media Player

2. NAS sever

3. PC/MAC

4. Network

at the very least. That's what I have to do most things you mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for all of your comments and suggestions. Sorry for the slow reply, im stuck on a war ship off the coast of Libya and our internet connection gets cuff off at a regular intervals.

When I started to research this project, I was hopeful that someone could tell me how to make this systemas the individual parts of the system can be run individually for their main purpose, but I thought that some bright spark had somehow put them all together into one neat box and managed to get them talking to each other.

Never mindback to the drawing boardand to lessen my expectations I supposelol...i think a HTPC will have to do for now.

cheers guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.