AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first posted under MississippiMud's thread where it listed how to make RS_Maxxmudd to ask some questions. He has been very helpful! I got to thinking that I shouldn't have flooded his thread with my questions so I decided to start my own thread.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to home theatre. I'll start off by letting you know where I'm at. I recently purchased a used projector. I had been projecting on a piece of blackout cloth purchased from a fabric store. I decided I wanted a bigger screen but didn't want to drop the money on an expensive screen due to Christmas being right around the corner. That's when I started researching painted screen and ran across the MaxxMudd.

I added a drywall wall in the basement. I spent probably 5 days on two joints to make sure they turned out smooth. I then put two coats of "sheetrock first coat" followed by two coats of Kilz oil based primer while sanding between each coat. It looks great with no visual imperfections. I then sprayed a coat of semi-gloss (didn't have gloss on hand) just to see if any imperfections stuck out and still didn't notice any.

Below is my last post from the other thread and is where I am at.

I just got done spraying the first coat of the RS-MaxxMudd LL. I'm using my hvlp gun with my compressor. Although it's doing a great job on spraying a very fine coat the spray pattern is very small no matter how I adjust it. I was kinda worried about this due to the 1.5mm tip. I'm just wondering how many coats I'll have to end up putting on it? So far I probably used a little over half of the spray cup so about 12 ounces on the first coat. It seems to look okay for the first coat but worried about it maybe being a tad thicker in some spots. Will that be noticeable? Is even coverage something that is a must? I'm thinking if I continue going with this gun I'm looking at about 5 coats. I'm not worried about how many coats I have to do or whether or not I will cover everything. I'm worried about making the the very narrow passes with enough overlap in order to put on an even coat.

I have another spray gun I'm considering trying but it's still in the box. It's a general purpose, siphon gun with a 1.7mm tip. I know the finish won't be as fine as my hvlp but know it will still be better than rolling. I am spraying on drywall and although it is pretty flat and smooth it's not mdf or anything. Do you think it I would even notice the difference? I think in the morning I will hook it up and shoot it on an extra sheet of drywall and see how it looks.

Any thoughts on my situation? What you would do without running out and buying the Wagner? Approximately how much paint mixture should I have left remaining? (by the way, as of now I'm just painting the whole wall as the screen and will then trim out the screen. The wall is 8 foot high by 12 foot wide)

Also, the LL mixture looks pretty darn white. I'm sure there is a gray tint to it if compared to white but is this what it's suppose to look like?

Any help or comments is appreciated!!

Thank you all for your time in helping someone that has no idea what I am doing!!

Brian

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoots76 /forum/post/19567196

I first posted under MississippiMud's thread where it listed how to make RS_Maxxmudd to ask some questions. He has been very helpful! I got to thinking that I shouldn't have flooded his thread with my questions so I decided to start my own thread.

Hello bcoots76,

Authoring your own thread is alway a good thing, and appreciated by those looking for more precise info from End Users that is readily accessible. It also makes it more accessible for you as well.

Quote:
I added a drywall wall in the basement. I spent probably 5 days on two joints to make sure they turned out smooth. I then put two coats of "sheetrock first coat" followed by two coats of Kilz oil based primer while sanding between each coat. It looks great with no visual imperfections. I then sprayed a coat of semi-gloss (didn't have gloss on hand) just to see if any imperfections stuck out and still didn't notice any.

Below is my last post from the other thread and is where I am at.

Not a bad start either.....

Quote:
I just got done spraying the first coat of the RS-MaxxMudd LL. I'm using my hvlp gun with my compressor. Although it's doing a great job on spraying a very fine coat the spray pattern is very small no matter how I adjust it. I was kinda worried about this due to the 1.5mm tip.

How small is it "Vertical Height-wise"? How far away are you spraying from? Are you using the Gleem "No Name" sprayer? Give me a description.

Quote:
I'm just wondering how many coats I'll have to end up putting on it? So far I probably used a little over half of the spray cup so about 12 ounces on the first coat. It seems to look okay for the first coat but worried about it maybe being a tad thicker in some spots. Will that be noticeable? Is even coverage something that is a must? I'm thinking if I continue going with this gun I'm looking at about 5 coats. I'm not worried about how many coats I have to do or whether or not I will cover everything. I'm worried about making the the very narrow passes with enough overlap in order to put on an even coat.

A 1.5 mm tip is fairly big...you certainly do not want to use anything larget. One issue / solution might be that the paint needs additional thinning. How much Mix did you make up and is the amount remaining in the Cup whats left of the entire amount you have actually used? If so, and what with your painting such a large surface, I'd say the paint is in fact needing to be thinned.

Quote:
I have another spray gun I'm considering trying but it's still in the box. It's a general purpose, siphon gun with a 1.7mm tip. I know the finish won't be as fine as my hvlp but know it will still be better than rolling. I am spraying on drywall and although it is pretty flat and smooth it's not mdf or anything. Do you think it I would even notice the difference? I think in the morning I will hook it up and shoot it on an extra sheet of drywall and see how it looks.

I would not bother. If the Gun your using has adequate pressure, it should produce at least a 10" tall pattern from a distance of 14" away. Better to take the RS-MMud mix as a whole and add about 6 ounces more water, then try that out.

Quote:
Any thoughts on my situation? What you would do without running out and buying the Wagner? Approximately how much paint mixture should I have left remaining? (by the way, as of now I'm just painting the whole wall as the screen and will then trim out the screen. The wall is 8 foot high by 12 foot wide)

Also, the LL mixture looks pretty darn white. I'm sure there is a gray tint to it if compared to white but is this what it's suppose to look like?

RS-MaxxMudd LL IS a very light, almost silvery white color when applied to it's proper thickness. At this point would be the time, when adding water, to increase the amount of Silver Metallic up to the proportions used in the "Standard" mix. Even then you will not see a big difference. One of the amazing things about RS-MMud was how much it could improve contrast (perceived) and offer up improved (but modest) ambient light performance while remaining light & bright enough to stay so far above 1.0 gain.

Quote:
Any help or comments is appreciated!!

Thank you all for your time in helping someone that has no idea what I am doing!!

Brian

Well you better crack down and learn something, because there is a Test coming and it counts for 75% of your grade for the Semester!

You just know you don't want to be sent back to repeat a Grade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night I did go ahead and add 4 more ounces of water after testing on some scrap drywall. It didn't seem to help much but went ahead with the first coat.

After reading your post I figured it had to be the gun. (I tried to a multi quote but couldn't figure it out for the life of me!!) I decided to use another higher end hvlp gun that I have. I didn't want to use it at first because I solely use it for clear coat for woodworking projects but figured water based paints wouldn't hurt it especially if cleaned up right away. It worked like a charm! It's probably time to toss my older hvlp. I tried spraying water through it and had the same issue. I ended up getting very nice coverage. With the good gun it took the whole cup to shoot the whole wall. I am very pleased with the results!!

I didn't bother adding anymore silver to it. I have total light control and with the lower lumen projector figured I had better stay with the LL.

And of course, I have a few more questions! "What width should my screen trim be? I was thinking probably 1 x 2 but want to check with the pro first!!" After submitting this post I noticed your thread about the trim and wrapping of velvet. I think I may go ahead and use 3 or 4". Also, is it advisable to router the edges or does it serve its purpose better straight? Does it matter if I just use flat black paint or should I use cloth? Since it is in the basement, and it is a little dustier down there, I'm thinking cloth will show all kinds of lint and dust and be tougher to clean. If I sand the frame with some very fine paper I should be able to just wipe it clean with a wet rag. Does velvet clean up okay?

After reading through some more posts about the trim I have a better understanding. Routered rounded edge is fine. I have a bunch of maple so will probably just use that but will run it through the planer to thin it down from 3/4".

So to sum it up I guess my questions are....

If wider trim looks nicer what width do you recommend? (I have any size trim lumbar at my disposal) (screen will be approximately 122-147 inches diagonal, maybe. May have to go smaller due to projector. I'm gonna have to play with the size.)

Do you use different widths for different size screens? For example, if it's over 100" should I go, say 4" and if it's under 100" should I go 2"?

Flat black paint or velvet? (worried about cleaning the velvet)

I was also a little worried about getting the trim positioned perfectly. From what I read if you get it close it will be okay because if you zoom out a bit any of the picture that overflows onto the trim will be snuffed out. Correct?

Mr. Mississippi, you have no idea how much you have helped me! If you're ever in Central IL be sure to stop by for some of my homebrew and pizza!! I enjoy tinkering with both!

Hopefully as I get into the HT hobby I will be able to repay the forum with some advice. Of course I'll be directing them towards you to double check my answers!!

Thank you for everything you do here. If everyone in the world was as helpful and as outgoing as you we would live in a perfect world.

I will forever be in debt to you!!

Brian

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
brain,

hmmm... no mm in sight... so i'll come out of my hiding since i'm a central illinois guy myself...

I decided to use another higher end hvlp gun that I have. I didn't want to use it at first because I solely use it for clear coat for woodworking projects but figured water based paints wouldn't hurt it especially if cleaned up right away. It worked like a charm! It's probably time to toss my older hvlp.

yep... when i first started here in diy... it was with oil based metallics...

like others before me... i simply hated the cleanup... so as better water based metallics came along... the old sprayer and oil based paints had to go.

the joy of the water based paints and a sprayer like the wagner hvlp cs and the ease of cleanup... gave me more time to experiment.

I didn't bother adding anymore silver to it. I have total light control and with the lower lumen projector figured I had better stay with the LL.

good choice.

After reading through some more posts about the trim I have a better understanding. Routered rounded edge is fine. I have a bunch of maple so will probably just use that but will run it through the planer to thin it down from 3/4".

i personally go with approx 3" wide mdf baseboard with no need to router or plane... but if you've got the tools and wood... might as well use them.

for 80" screens or less... a 2" border will suffice... but personally i prefer at least 3" for 100"+ screens.

Flat black paint or velvet? (worried about cleaning the velvet)

no choice here. a quality black velvet all the way. when i started, i had every excuse not to buy the black velvet and went with everything from paint to black cloth, suede, velveteen, etc... it simply does not compare... the difference is worth the money and the wow factor whether viewing movies or not. as for cleaning... need not worry. a good quality velvet cleans easily.

in debt? to the mm man? naw, he learned everything from me anyway...

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/19577972

brain,

hmmm... no mm in sight... so i'll come out of my hiding since i'm a central illinois guy myself...

in debt? to the mm man? naw, he learned everything from me anyway...

Just you wait!

I took the best and ignored the rest.
That's my Wife I'm talkin' 'bout.

I haven't a clue what your referring too.

Seriously....u need to call me as I cannot cal you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks PB for the reply. My internet has been down so haven't had a chance to check the thread. Because of that I decided to just paint the trim and put it up. I only attached it with a couple of brads for it will be easy to take down to wrap in velvet. What exactly does the velvet do? Does it kinda make the screen jump out?

You said, "good quality velvet". Any recommendations where to go for that? Is Hobby Lobby okay? I think it costs $11.99 a yard there. I haven't priced Joanne's yet. I'm guessing the quality is probably about the same.

So how are you liking the weather here?! Sure did get cold. It seems really cold because we went from somewhat decent temps to cold to freezing in a short amount of time. I live in a small town between Peoria and Bloomington and we were on the edge of the snowstorm. We got about 4 inches here but a 15 minute drive east and they only had a light dusting. Bring on the cold and the snow. Wouldn't bother me to get snowed in now that I can sit in the basement all day and night and watch movies with the family!

Still have a few things to finish up in the movie room. I had to take out a wall to make it a little bigger so have to do a little painting and some trim work. Also have to tie in a small section of drop panel ceiling. I plan on painting two sections of the tile black so about 4 ft. The rest of the room has somewhat of a darker blue for the walls and carpet. Do you think coming out about 4 feet with black is enough? Heck, if I have to I'll paint the whole basement black. I'll have to do that while the wife is sleeping though!

I'm also gonna add in two pair of can lights with separate dimmers towards the back of the room just so there can be a little bit of controlled lighting if needed.

I can't thank you both enough for taking the time to help out. I knew nothing about ht before coming here. I know I still have a long ways to go but you guys got me heading in the right direction. I've only had the projector for a few weeks but can already see an upgrade coming soon. I'm hooked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts