Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I'm new to these forums and to the world of Home theater. :D

Is it worth getting the AVIA Guide to Home Theater DVD? My geometry is a little off when watching SD cable in the 4:3 aspect ratio. I do have sound and vision guide to home theater, but the geometry calibration screens included are specific to projection based TVs. Will AVIA provide me with geometry calibrations specifically for my Philips 30PW850H CRT? In addition, to anyone who has used AVIA can list a few benefits that AVIA has over my current calibration DVD (Ovations: Sound and Vision), it would help in my decision to purchase the DVD.

Thanks for your help in advance :),

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I guess I don't quite understand your question?

If you have the patterns to ascertain your geometry problems, you should then be able to fix them no? You have a projection TV, CRT based, you probably need to get into the service menu to get at geometry adjustments, and reconverge, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thank you for responding. :)

Sorry about not being more clear.

I can get into the service menu but haven’t touched anything yet…here’s the story.

I recently purchased a Samsung TXN3071 and accessed the service menu. Using my Ovation Sound and Visions DVD I set the geometry using the crosshatch calibration screen. However, the crosshatch review section indicated that the crosshatch was specifically designed for calibrating the geometry and convergence on a Projection based set. I decided to try my luck anyway since the TXN3071’s geometry was way off. In short my geometry was far worse after using the crosshatch screen. I then reverted back to the default settings I recorded before the changes. After a few days I brought the set back to Best Buy to exchange it for the same model. Again, upon turning the set on the geometry was noticeably off, so I decided to try my luck again with the crosshatch. Same scenario, the geometry was worse off.

Before returning the set I did a little more research online and decided to return the set back to Best Buy in exchange for my current TV; the Philips 30PW850H. It’s been a week now and I couldn’t be happier. IMO this model is great buy for the money I spent, the geometry isn’t perfect but a considerable improvement over my experience with both Samsung TXN3071 models.

With that said, I’m wondering if the AVIA disc will provide me with a comprehensive guide on what I need to look for when setting the geometry on my current set. The Sound and Vision DVD I purchased from Best Buy is basically a Theater Tune up disc; the crosshatch was the only calibration view specifically designed for editing geometry. No other explanations were given on the DVD.

Thank you again,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.