AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface, I did search the forums, and google and am not able to find any relevant recent answers, so please bare with me if this has been hammered on before.

I recently built an HPTC that houses this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128363

I currently have 3 options for sound with this board. HDMI, SPDIF, or analog. I know SPDIF only handles DD, DTS, and 2 channel PCM. After that, I've read all sorts of conflicting ideas and viewpoints.

Basically, I have a few questions and/or assumptions I'd like clarified by those more versed in this matter:

Does it make sense to use the audio via HDMI? Will *all*audio sound it's very best with this since it'll output in PCM I think?

Will files already encoded with DTS still sound equally as good over HDMI w/ PCM since they'll loose the DTS encoding (I assume) ?

BluRay/HDDVD discs will sound best with uncompressed PCM from a source like PowerDVD which can handle Dolby True HD encoding rather than compressing down to DTS to go over SPDIF?

Basically, of those 3 audio sources, which is most recommended for almost any audio codec imaginable?

·
Registered
405 Posts
HDMI depending on the hardware you use can handle it all. I use a radeon 4850 to an Onkyo 606 and it passes 7.1 LPCM from my blu-ray to .flac rips, 5.1 PCM from my DVD-Audio Discs, 2ch PCM for CD\\flac files, and 2ch to 7.1 LPCM from games. It also bitstreams DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 from legacy movies and DTS Music Discs.

Also it takes the PC out of the equation when it comes to the DAC stage. I find my sound is cleaner with HDMI out than it was analog out from my Xonar DX, my Audigy2zs and the Realtek onboard sound on my motherboard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have kind of a question of my own. My receiver (JVC RX-9010VBK) has a USB Audio option on the front, which is what I am currently using from my HTPC. Should I continue to use that or setup SPDIF via my Audigy sound card? I have not yet tried playing movies on it to see if USB Audio does 5.1 or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.