AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at first I was going to get a samsung 32 in for about $700, 720p. Thought it would be perfect for gaming. But then I decided maybe in the long run it would be worth it to get a 40-42 in model for hdtv and movies and stuff. The main thing is I will be sitting 4-6 feet away. So would It be worth it to spend some extra money to get a 40-42 in model that plays 1080p or should i stick with the 32 in that is 720p? I was also wondering if I would need a blue-ray player to see moveis at there highest quality?

p.s. my xbox 360 does not have a hdmi connector on the back.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
At 4' to 6' feet viewing distance you will benefit from a 1080p tv as a 720p that close up will show the lack of the extra resolution (won't be as clear and sharp). If you get a 1080p tv you will get clearer movies with a blu ray player and also better sound if you hook the bluray to a sound system. You can use component cables (red/green/blue) plus audio cables and achieve equal pic quality to HDMI so don't worry about that.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/14316882

At 4' to 6' feet viewing distance you will benefit from a 1080p tv as a 720p that close up will show the lack of the extra resolution (won't be as clear and sharp). If you get a 1080p tv you will get clearer movies with a blu ray player and also better sound if you hook the bluray to a sound system. You can use component cables (red/green/blue) plus audio cables and achieve equal pic quality to HDMI so don't worry about that.

Whoa... is that true? You can achieve equal PQ with component HD cables as with HDMI? This is the first I've heard of this. Usually people on these forums say that HDMI is a necessity to achieve prime PQ. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks, Do any of the t.v's in the 40-42 in range standout? Not trying to spend more then $1300 on the t.v.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Either Samsung LN40A550 or Sony 40V4100.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeat33 /forum/post/14317155

Whoa... is that true? You can achieve equal PQ with component HD cables as with HDMI? This is the first I've heard of this. Usually people on these forums say that HDMI is a necessity to achieve prime PQ. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeat33 /forum/post/14317155

There's no reason that component cables can not deliver the same pq as HDMI. When it comes to sound, you can get better sound via HDMI when you have multi-channel uncompressed output as an option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after I got the t.v. a blue-ray player and 5.1 surround sound would be next. Only problem is my 360 does not have a hdmi port.

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian069 /forum/post/14320405

after I got the t.v. a blue-ray player and 5.1 surround sound would be next. Only problem is my 360 does not have a hdmi port.

You don't need an HDMI port. Hook it up using the component cables.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian069 /forum/post/14320405

As I said above, just hook the 360 into the tv with component cables then...

use an optical sound cable directly into your 5.1 system, don't run sound thru the tv, you will get excellent sound from blu ray, I do this and it sounds excellent. The HDMI sound advantage is for very high end sound systems and optical does just fine for 5.1.

All video cables go straight into the tv, all audio cables go straight into your 5.1 system receiver and it all works well. Until you get your surround system, sound into the tv is fine, but once you get the system, move the sound cables to the receiver and be sure to use optical or digital coax.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts