AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting, and worse, intermittent problem. I hope someone has an idea for me on how to fix it. Occasionally I only get half of my channels on my UTV. When I check the signal, it shows 82-85%, but when I run the system test, it says failed for the tuners. I tried different transponders, and Tran1 showed a strong signal, Tran2 said 0%. I guess different channels are on different Trans. If I wait awhile, they usually come back. This is driving my crazy. Has anyone seen this before? I read a thread about it a while back, but can't seem to find it. I do have a long cable run, through the house, and could get there with shorter, but messy, runs. I also have signal amps in line, but the thing was working for a long time, and now this. Any ideas, I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Measure the DC voltage at the sat' cable connector. As you change transponders it will switch from low (around 13) to high (around 18). If this happens then it is probably a cable connection problem (or the lnb itself).

Remove all amps and check ALL connectors WELL. Especially those outside that can get wet.

kazak

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
A loose connector or a dish that is able to shift in the wind can cause this issue (or kid using your dish for a pitching target). If you have an external multiswitch, try bypassing it. It may be malfunctioning. Of course, it may be the UTV, but before doing anything drastic, check some of the other stuff that might be wrong and is easier and/or cheaper to fix than the UTV. You haven't put in a video splitter have you? You can't use a normal coax splitter with satellite.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just had a similar thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Check your transponder singal strength beyond just #1 and #2. If the odd numbered transponders are consisently strong and the evened numbered ones are at 0 (or vice-versa), then it is probably a LNB, cabling, or multiswitch issue. Are you using a multiswitch? If so, you may have lost 1/2 the multiswitch, or the cable coming into one side as input. (That's what happened to me ... one of the cables was accidentally pulled out of the multiswitch). If you don't use a multiswitch then I would look at the LNB on the dish. -TJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.